Apply For the 2021-2022 FOCUS Program Now
Early career academics including junior faculty and transitioning postdoctoral scholars who have yet to receive an independent NIH research award (R01 type) or similar award are eligible to apply. All applicants must complete the PRIDE pre-application form for the consortium Coordination Core to determine eligibility.
To be eligible to participate, you must:
- Be a research-oriented junior-level faculty member holding a doctoral degree, such as a PhD, MD, DO, DVM or transitioning* post-doctorate trainee
- Have a background that is underrepresented in the biomedical or health sciences
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States
- Have a research focus that is centered on heart, lung, blood, or sleep disorders research; health disparities research relevant to heart, lung, blood, or sleep disorders; or relevant research methodologies and approaches specific to these areas
- Participate in career tracking for up to ten years after training is completed
- Have not attended a previous PRIDE/SIPID cohort
*Transitioning means that you have or will have received a formal faculty appointment by the time the Summer Institute Program convenes.
In addition to applicants from national pools, we especially encourage applications from within the University of California (UC) system's
UC President's and
San Diego Chancellor's Fellowship Programs and the national network of NIH-supported
Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Award (IRACDA) programs.
Show additional content areas below