Health Sciences Faculty Mentor Training Program (FMTP) was developed by OFA in 2017 and continues to evolve as we identify best practices for faculty mentorship. The three-year pilot program is supported by the Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences, the Chancellor's Office, and the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
+ Expand All
Department/Division Mentor Directors (DMDs)
- senior faculty members selected by their Chair or Division Chief, who are trained and experienced mentors.
- responsible for the overall FMTP program within their individual department or division.
- coordinate mentor-mentee pairings and provide oversight, guidance and support to mentors and mentees.
|Ulrich Schmidt, MD, PhD, MBA||||
|Bruce Hamilton, PhD|
Kevin Corbett, PhD
|||Cell and Molecular Medicine|
|Lawrence Eichenfield, MD||||Dermatology|
Rick Clark, MD||||Emergency Medicine|
Paul Mills, PhD|
Suzi Hong, PhD
|||Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health|
|Davey Smith, MD|
- Geriatrics and Gerontology
Geriatrics and Gerontology
- Infectious Diseases
- Palliative Care
- Hospitial Medicine
|Irene Litvan, MD
Pamela Mellon, PhD
|||Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences|
Natalie Afshari, MD|
Don Kikkawa, MD
Ami Doshi, MD||||Pediatrics|
Vickie Risbrough, PhD||||Psychiatry|
|Jona Hattangadi-Gluth, MD ||||Radiation Medicine and Applied Sciences|
|||Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences|
- complete Mentor Facilitator Training through the
Center for Improved Mentored Experiences in Research (CIMER)
- lead 8-hours of mentor training across 2 to 4 workshops. At least one of these trainings will address equity and inclusion competencies.
- collect evaluation data from all workshops with at least 20 participants
- agree to train faculty across Health Sciences
Senior Faculty Mentors
- Associate or Full professors with knowledge and experience of navigating the UC system/UC San Diego.
- mentor junior faculty mentees, individually or in a group format, over 2 to 3 years.
- facilitate the development of Career Development Plans (CDP) for mentees aligned with department promotion and advancement criteria, sponsor/champion mentees, and guide/support junior faculty.
Junior Faculty Mentors/Mentees
Junior faculty are Assistant or Associate level faculty who take on mentee or mentor roles.
Show additional content areas below