Over 20 Years of Promoting Faculty Development at UC San Diego
The National Center of Leadership in Academic Medicine (NCLAM) is a Health Sciences professional development program with a mentoring component for junior faculty at UC San Diego. NCLAM helps junior faculty develop skills appropriate for their academic career, implement a personal strategic plan, and expand their network of colleagues within Health Sciences and the University.
Professional Development for Junior Faculty
Junior faculty attend a series of 16 workshops with topics ranging from UC San Diego expectations for academic promotion, to skill development in teaching and research, to professional development and leadership training. During the second half of the program, junior faculty choose a professional development project and are matched with a senior faculty mentor who can facilitate their progress. In addition, the school/department of each junior faculty is reimbursed by the Vice Chancellor's Health Sciences Office for the time the faculty member dedicates to the NCLAM program.
- Late January to early June 2024
- Weekly sessions on Fridays from 8:30 - 11:30 am
- May to September 2024 ~ Individual work on professional development project
- September 2024~ Professional development project presentations/graduation
- A Health Sciences faculty member with a salaried appointment of 50% or greater
- Assistant Professor in a UC Faculty Series Step I – IV
- Available for Friday morning in-person sessions January through June 2024
- Promotion (above Step IV)
not scheduled for review or submission before July 2024
Women and underrepresented (UR) faculty are encouraged to apply.
- Skill development in teaching, research, and navigating Health Sciences at UC San Diego
- Professional development and leadership training
- Opportunity to be matched with a faculty mentor and create a professional development project with their guidance
- Networking with a diverse community of junior faculty from across divisions and departments
- Empowers junior faculty to thrive in academic medicine at UC San Diego Health Sciences
- Develops future leaders across departments and divisions for research and clinical settings
- Fosters an inclusive community and a sense of belonging at UC San Diego
Show additional content areas below