A Structured Mentorship Program for All Health Sciences Faculty
Mentorship is integral to successful careers in academic science and medicine. The Health Sciences Faculty Mentor Training Program (FMTP) is a
formal, structured mentorship program designed to support the success of junior faculty, while also improving their sense of satisfaction and engagement with UC San Diego. FMTP
enhances senior faculty training in effective mentoring, facilitates formalized faculty mentor programs within individual departments/divisions, and
cultivates an environment where mentoring excellence is valued.
Mentor Excellence CelebrationOctober 21, 2021
5:00pm - 7:00pm
Senior Faculty Mentor TrainingNovember 12, 15, 17, 2021
12pm - 1:30pm
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register
Junior Faculty Mentee Training
Why is FMTP Important?
- Mentorship is integral to successful careers in academic science and medicine
- Mentored junior faculty publish more scholarly work and receive more federal/extramural funding
- Mentored junior faculty are more satisfied and more engaged with their home institution
- Federal funding agencies are calling for evidence-based mentor training programs for faculty
- Cost of failed mentoring relationships is enormous (loss of faculty productivity, engagement, and collateral damage from low faculty morale)
"GREAT TRAINING FOR ALL FACULTY, GREAT MATERIALS AND CASES. THE FACILITATORS OF THIS COURSE WERE SPECTACULAR, TAKING MENTORSHIP TO A TERRIFIC LEVEL OF ART AS WELL AS A SCIENCE."
– GABriel HADDAD, MD
"IT WAS A PLEASURE TO DELVE INTO THE NUANCES OF EFFECTIVE MENTORSHIP WITH FACULTY FROM ACROSS THE HEALTH SCIENCES!"
– ANDREA LACROIX, PHD, MPH
"I WISH THESE TRAININGS WERE AVAILABLE 25 YEARS AGO… IN RETROSPECT, I COULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER MENTOR, PARTICULARLY IN DIFFICULT SITUATIONS."
– STEPHEN SPECTOR, MD
"THIS COURSE FINALLY GIVES ME THE STRUCTURE TO MORE EFFICIENTLY AND EFFECTIVELY ADVANCE MY MENTEES ACADEMICALLY"
– CHRIS TOMASZEWSKI, MD
"THE FMTP TRAINING PROVIDED AN EXCELLENT OVERVIEW ... I LEFT THE TRAINING FEELING ENRICHED."
– TODD PAWLICKI, PHD
"THE FMTP TRAINING WAS OUTSTANDING! AFTER MORE THAN 15 YEARS OF MENTORING OTHERS, I HAD MY FIRST EXPERIENCE BEING TRAINED IN THIS TOPIC!"
– ALISON MOORE, MD, MPH