Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The UCSD ID Fellowship and the UCSD Division of Infectious Diseases and Global Public Health are committed to promoting, fostering, and improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) within our program, division, department, and institution. We believe that our differences make us stronger, and we strive to create a culture of inclusion by valuing and celebrating diversity across all domains. Diversity is essential for excellence in clinical care, teaching, and research.
Some of the steps we have taken recently within our division to promote DEI include:
- Implicit bias training
- Workshop on microaggressions
- Cultural competency training on gender identity and expression
- Participation in IDSA's 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge
- Inclusive mentoring training
- Holistic review in fellowship and faculty hiring processes
- Tracking the number of underrepresented in medicine fellowship applicants along the continuum of the application process
Numerous steps are being taken across the institution to promote DEI:
- DEI Ambassadors from all Departments are meeting quarterly to share best practices and bring recommendations to building a more inclusive community to our academic and clinical leaders.
- The Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health and Human Longevity Science filled its inaugural role of Associate Dean for Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) on June 1 with Sonia Jain.
- The Sanford Institute for Empathy and Compassion has established a Center for Empathy and Social Justice in Human Health.
- The Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health and Human Longevity Science created a Health Promotion and Equity Center of Excellence to build and advance the science of health behavior change and to eliminate health disparities based on personal or environmental factors.
- A Medical Education audit is currently under way, which is being performed by Advancing Health Equity under the direction of Vice Dean for Medical Education Dr. Michelle Daniel.
- The Health System has integrated anti-racism as a domain of its strategic framework, including "Dismantle Structural Racism" as one of eight overarching strategic goals.