This webpage is intended to provide accepted visiting medical students with the necessary information to prepare for your upcoming elective rotation(s). Approximately two weeks prior to your start date, our office will send an "orientation" email with additional information, including specific details regarding where and when to report on your first day, course director/administrator contacts, etc...
Accepting Your Offer - Elective fee
Once accepted, students must pay a non-refundable processing fee for each elective:
- $300.00 per elective for students from US medical schools.
We accept cash (in-person only), traveler’s checks, and checks with a U.S. address. We are unable to accept credit cards. Checks should be made payable to “UC Regents”. Checks sent by mail should be addressed to:
Visiting Student Program
UCSD School of Medicine
Room 120 Medical Education & Telemed Bldg
9500 Gilman Drive #0606
La Jolla, CA 92093-0606
UC San Diego does not have housing available for visiting students. The Visiting Student Program does maintain a list of rooms for rent from individuals in the community, available upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend that students also look at Rotating Room.
Evaluation of Visiting Students
- We only provide UC San Diego evaluations for visiting students.
- The Visiting Student Program will submit a completed summary evaluation to the student's home school after the completion of the elective.
- Students may view completed summary evaluations by logging into OASIS, the school's scheduling an evaluation system (login information below).
Student Evaluation of Course and Personnel
Visiting students should complete evaluations of their assigned elective and its personnel via OASIS. Your username for the system is the handle for your email (ie., before the @gmail.com). Your password will be provided at a later date.
At Your Rotation
Please be aware that some electives require travel between multiple sites. Below are links to map resources for the main campus and most medical facilities.
UC San Diego campus
Parking & Bus Transportation
Please visit UC San Diego’s Transportation Services website for complete information about parking options and policies at UC San Diego locations.
If you will have a vehicle, it is very important that you park as permitted (the purchase of permits may be necessary).
- UC San Diego sites: Student may purchase daily or monthly ($65) parking permits. The monthly D permits are restricted to lots near Jacobs Medical Center and Bachmann Parking Structure (Hillcrest). Please visit any of the parking offices to purchase a permit.
- Note regarding parking at Bachmann (Hillcrest): A sticker for your permit is required for parking at Hillcrest and can only be received from Bachmann Parking Structure.
- Rady Children’s Hospital: There is no medical student parking at Rady Children's Hospital. However, all medical students are able to park for FREE at the top level of the National University parking structure. A shuttle departs from the Plaza following this schedule. You do not need to show anything to access this free parking.
If you will not have a vehicle and/or plan to use the campus shuttle system or public transportation, please use the Transportation Services link above and read the information on “Shuttles” and “Alternatives/Public Transit” for available options. There is a free campus shuttle that runs between the UC San Diego Medical Centers in La Jolla (Jacobs Medical Center, Thornton Hospital and surrounding clinics) and Hillcrest.
Computer Access/Training & ID Badges
Specific instructions for computer training/access and ID badges will be sent to you via email approximately two to four weeks prior to your start date.
- Rady Children’s Hospital: If you are assigned to electives at Rady Children's Hospital, bring your student ID from your home school. You will also be provided with a Rady ID badge.
Dress Code/White Coats/Scrubs
Dress code: Medical students should dress professionally (no t-shirts or jeans).
White coats: UC San Diego medical students wear waist-length, long-sleeved white coats. You may bring your own, and they are also available for purchase at:
- UC San Diego Bookstore (on main UC San Diego campus)
- Local medical supply companies, such as ACE Uniforms in downtown San Diego
Scrubs: For rotations requiring scrubs, students will be set up for access to the scrub service (information about access is disseminated by each respective elective).
In the event of a needlestick, please follow the posted instructions.
Access to Campus Facilities (library, recreation center, etc.)/Email
We are not able to extend UC San Diego student privileges to visiting students, nor do we issue UC San Diego email addresses as students remain enrolled at their home school and are not paying our tuition fees.
Library Services to the Community (for general public use policies)
Campus Recreation Facilities:
http://recreation.ucsd.edu/ (for general public use policies)
Visiting Student Program Office Location and Hours
Office location: School of Medicine campus on the south end of the UC San Diego main campus in La Jolla. (see map, Bldg #845, 1st Floor, Suite 120.01A)
Office hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm
If you can no longer keep your elective assignment, please contact the Visiting Student Program office AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. If you drop at the last minute, you may have prevented another interested student from taking the elective.
Please e-mail the Visiting Student Program office at
email@example.com with any questions.