UC San Diego School of Medicine welcomes eligible senior visiting
students in our senior electives as space permits. We
work closely with visiting students to optimize educational
opportunities for students in the final stages of their medical school
The catalog and application cycle for 2019 - 2020 is on VSAS. The catalog and application for 2020-2021 will be available on VSAS in March 2020.
We review applications about 2-3 months out from the rotation start date.
- Our program currently accepts applications from students from North
American (US, Canada, Puerto Rico) LCME-accredited medical schools and
COCA-accredited osteopathic schools.
- UC San Diego does not accept students who attend international or off-shore
medical schools for this program.
- Our program only accepts senior medical students (i.e. fourth-year medical students).
- Do not contact faculty or administrative staff directly to attempt
to arrange clinical experiences.
- We do not offer observerships, shadowing opportunities, research
electives, or pre-clinical experiences.
Visit the AAMC's Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) for
complete information about our program, including the application
process, electives offered, and dates available.
- Copy of core clerkship evaluation closest to the requested
- Proof of personal health insurance (front and back copy of
health insurance card )
- AAMC Standardized Immunization Form
- USMLE Step 1 Score - COMLEX scores are NOT accepted in lieu of
- Transcript uploaded by your medical school
- For those applying to Urology - Letter of recommendation from a
- Background check -Your school must verify that you have
completed a background check shortly before the third year of medical school. If your school is unable to do so, you must provide a
Eligible students who attend schools that do not use VSLO should
contact our office at email@example.com for a paper application
beginning on March 8. Students may use the VSLO website for information
on elective courses and dates.
Visiting Elective Scholarship program (Dept of Medicine applicants)
UC San Diego welcomes students from all diverse backgrounds to apply for
away clerkships. In doing so, the Department of Medicine may provide
qualified students various visiting elective scholarships through the
Visiting Elective Scholarship Program (VESP) to help ease the transition
into an away rotation.
Eligible students are full-time, fourth-year medical students in
good standing at accredited U.S. medical schools. Students remain
registered at their own schools while participating in the four-week
elective clerkship at UC San Diego.
Before applying to the VESP, each student must complete an
application form VSAS.
For more information regarding deadlines, eligibility requirements, and
specific stipend information, please visit the Department of Medicine VESP application page.
Admission into the Visiting Student Program does not constitute
admission or matriculation into UCSD School of Medicine. Any expenses
required for disability accommodation of a visiting student must be
borne by the student's home institution. Please refer to UCSD's technical standards.