2023 - 2024 Application Cycle Key Dates:
- February 1: Students may browse opportunities in VSLO.
- March 1: Applications accepted.
- April 1: We will begin to extend offers for available slots.
- Only senior medical students (fourth-year students) may apply for our clinical electives.
- We accept applications from students from North
American (US, Canada, Puerto Rico) LCME-accredited medical schools and
COCA-accredited osteopathic schools.
- We do not accept applications from students who attend international or off-shore
medical schools for this program.
- Do not call/email the program to check on the status of your application. Updates are made only in VSLO. We review applications at least 2-3 months out from the rotation start date.
- Do not contact faculty or administrative staff directly to attempt
to arrange clinical experiences.
- We do not offer observerships, shadowing opportunities, research
electives, or pre-clinical experiences.
Visit the AAMC's Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) for
complete information about our program, including the application
process, electives offered, and dates available.
- Copy of core clerkship evaluation
- This evaluation should include your final grade and comments regarding your performance
- The preferred evaluation is related to your desired specialty. If you do not have a final grade for that particular clerkship, you may upload an evaluation in a different clerkship.
- Proof of personal health insurance
- AAMC standardized immunization form
- Copy of your USMLE Step 1/COMLEX-USA score report
- Transcript (Uploaded by home medical school)
- Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card
- Background check: A background check must be completed shortly before the start of the third year of medical school (within the last 18 months). If your school is unable to do so, you must provide a background check. Applicants to electives that rotate partly or entirely at Rady Children's Hospital need to submit background checks that include the following:
- National sex offender database search.
- National criminal database search.
- County criminal background checks on all counties of residence or work disclosed.
- Social Security trace.
- Office of Inspector General excluded parties list.
- General Services Administration excluded parties list.
- [Urology applicants] Letter of recommendation from a
- [ORTHO applicants] Completion of a supplemental questionnaire
- [Rady Site Screening] Rady Children's Hospital currently does not allow for visiting medical students to come to their campus for 14 days post-travel to CDC Warning Level 3 countries. See this site for the most updated list: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
Eligible students who attend North American (US, Canada, Puerto Rico) LCME-accredited medical schools and COCA-accredited osteopathic medical schools that do not use VSLO should may complete
this paper application. Students may use the VSLO website for information
on elective courses and dates.
Admission into the Visiting Student Program does not constitute
admission or matriculation into UC San Diego School of Medicine. Any expenses
required for disability accommodation of a visiting student must be
borne by the student's home institution. Please refer to UC San Diego's technical standards.
Visiting Elective Scholarship program (VESP)
UC San Diego welcomes students from all diverse backgrounds to apply for
away clerkships. Before applying to any VESP, each student must complete an
application form in VSLO. The following departments offer scholarships for
eligible students applying to rotations in their specialty: