- Attendance and participation in problem sessions and team-based learning sessions because these sessions depend on student interaction and peer teaching. Lectures are interactive and lecture attendance is strongly recommended.
- Completion of each written exam at its scheduled time (unless an alternative has been arranged with the course director).
- Satisfactory progress toward achieving the course learning objectives for each exam, which can be demonstrated by either:
- Passing the written exam, OR
- Arranging a remediation assignment with the instructor and satisfactorily completing the assignment by its deadline.
- Completion of an online course evaluation.
Entering medical students who participate in the Core Topics in
Biomedical Sciences (CTBS) course are not officially enrolled in medical
school and therefore unable to receive SOM course credit. However, the course is
administered through UC San Diego's Summer Sessions office, and students
receive elective credit on their undergraduate transcripts for
attending. Pharmacy students attending CTBS prior to their second year receive 9 units of elective
credit on their School of Pharmacy transcript.