NIH NRSA fellowship applications are electronic and must be submitted to NIH in ASSIST, by an authorized institutional signing official on behalf of the applicant.
Nicole Ketchum, HS SPPO Grant Analyst, submits the following applications:
- F32 Postdoctoral Fellowships for applicants with a sponsor in Health Sciences.
- F30 Predoctoral Fellowships for professional degree applicants (M.D., Pharm.D., M.D./Ph.D. or Pharm.D./Ph.D.)
To submit an application to the NIH, the applicant must be registered as a PI in the eRA Commons. Registration is done by HS SPPO for Health Sciences. Contact Nicole Ketchum if you need an eRA Commons account set up or the PI role added to your current account.
Note: Fellowships are required to be entered into Kuali Research (KR) PD. Work with your Fund Manager (your Sponsor's Fund Manager) to have this entered for you.
+ Expand All
|KR PD Record|||||
- Basics: Delivery Info Tab: Submission Description
|Indicate the ASSIST number||N/A|
|NIH NRSA Budget Workbook FY 2023 2-10-2023.xlsx**||N/A|
|Select Submit for Review||N/A|
|KR COI Form||Required for the PI, Sponsor, and any Co-Sponsors located at UC San Diego||Completed annually|
|OnBase||Fellowship Assurance Form||N/A|
|ASSIST||Change the status in ASSIST to "Ready to Submit" and notify your HS SPPO Analyst it is ready for review||Route your RPPR in eRA Commons to your HS SPPO Analyst|
|Email||N/A||Internal Budget and/or Updated NIH NRSA Budget Workbook|
|*Fellowship NIH NRSA RPPRs are not entered into KR PD|
**Opens without a password request in Edge and Chrome.
Notes on Internal Forms:
- The PHS COI Forms are required for the PI, Sponsor, and any Co-Sponsors. This needs to be completed in the
Kuali Research (KR) COI.
- NIH Fellowship Assurance Form Initiate the form in OnBase:
https://obweb.ucsd.edu/AppNet/Login.aspx. The form should be initiated by the Fund Manager/Department Contact who will work with the PI to start the routing for electronic signatures. Additionally, they will notify the HS SPPO Grant Analyst (Nicole Ketchum) of the PI's intent to submit. For more information, please see the
Fellowship Assurance Form End User Instruction Manual.
- NIH NRSA Budget Workbook FY 2023 2-10-2023.xlsx*. Please fill out the appropriate tab for the application type and use the most recent NIH stipend levels which can be found in the 4th tab of the workbook. For F30 and F31 applications, projected Ph.D./M.D. and projected Ph.D./Pharm.D. fees are listed in the last two tabs of the workbook. *Opens without a password request in Edge and Chrome.
Make sure you use the correct FOA for your application set-up in ASSIST:
|F30||Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Fellowship for Students at Institutions with NIH-Funded Institutional Predoctoral Dual-Degree Training Programs (Parent F30)||PA-21-049|
|F32||Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (Parent F32) ||
|F32||BRAIN Initiative Fellows: Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (F32) ||RFA-MH-20-620|
|F32||Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)-sponsored National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (F32||PA-17-481|
|F32||NINDS Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) for Training of Postdoctoral Fellows (F32)||PAR-21-032|
NIH Videos and Podcasts:
Video - PHS Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Information Form
Grant Writing 101 - Understanding the Process of Grant Writing (by NIH)
- Note: if you pause this video, you will need to write down where you are in the video. It will refresh and start all over after a very short time period and will not save where you were last at.
Video - Fellowships: Navigating NIH Peer Review
Video - Submitting Reference Letters through eRA Commons
Video - Using ASSIST to Prepare and Submit Multi-Project Applications to NIH
Podcast - Writing Your Vertebrate Animal Section
Podcast - Writing a Fellowship Application (Transcript)
Podcast - Considerations for Developing a Research Plan (Transcript)
Podcast - Grant Writing for New Investigators (Transcript)
Podcast - Graduate Students Considering a Postdoc (Transcript)
Podcast - Postdocs Thinking About Independence (Transcript)
Video - What Graduate Students & Postdocs Writing NIH Grants Need to Know (National Research Mentoring Network)