UCSD Health Sciences is a $2 billion dollar plus organization encompassing 16 departments, 2 professional schools (School of Medicine and School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences), 2 hospitals, and various other programs and units all dedicated towards fulfilling the Health Sciences missions. The Physical Resource Management & Capital Asset Strategies ("PRMCAS") team is responsible for space, capital, and core research facilities management and planning. We providing strategic, analytical, and decision-support to the UC San Diego Vice Chancellor of Health Sciences (VCHS) and senior management, with regard to research and instructional space both on and off campus.
Due to data migration issues the Space Dashboards have been temporarily disabled.
Capital Program Development & Facilities Management
Space Planning & Management
- Provides leadership in programming new buildings and future buildings.
- Responsible for $3M annual renovation budget including budget review and approval for renovations and capital equipment purchases as well as business plan and pro forma review and approval for facilities related initiatives.
- Determines the need for capital projects, identifies
funding, plans occupancy, monitors construction and renovation projects,
and facilitates relocations within VCHS research and educational facilities.
- Acts as VCHS liaison
in regard to planning, design and construction, and project management
for minor and major capital projects supporting research and
- Provides asset
management, facility renewal needs assessments, and short- and long-term
planning related to research and educational space needs.
leadership and guidance on research and administrative space planning
and assignment in approximately 2.8 million gross square feet (GSF) of
research and instructional space in 40 buildings across 3 separate
campuses and 45 off site leases.
- Responsible for on-going space management, including major space solutions associated with new projects and their impacts.
and updates Health Sciences building floor plans and occupancy
information via Facilities Information System (FIS), UCSD’s space data
and inventory management system.
leadership regarding the management of Health Sciences leased space
portfolio and its effect on resources such as indirect cost recovery.
Approximately $17M annual leases expenses for over 45 active leases
in 320K ASF
- Administers VCHS "Lease Plan" program (28 leases, $8M annual expenses, 182K ASF)
- Analyzes research grant awards to confirm financial viability of proposed space and off-site leases.
incremental Indirect Costs (IDC) generated by Federal, State, and
Private research grants used to pay for operations and maintenance, and
debt services for Garamendi and non-Garamendi buildings and off-site
Affiliate Business Management
- Affiliate Business Management serves as the primary liaison to 6 affiliate partners and provides
relationship management, issue resolution, ensures compliance with terms of
each agreement, including serving as a resource for agency funds and providing affiliate
access to non-UCSD support staff to UCSD systems.
- Core Resources is made up of Core Bio Services and Lab Support Services. These two units provide consumables to labs and operate the glass and autoclave services in our buildings. In addition, they are the VCHS Recharge Resource assisting with financial analystics, rate development, and rate review.