Get an advantage on your faculty career in cardiovascular sciences with mentorship from world renowned researchers, development of academic and grant writing skills to craft and implement a plan for your long-term success, adjacent to the celebrated sunny shores of southern California.
Underrepresented early career junior faculty and transitioning postdoctoral scholars who have cardiovascular scientific expertise, aligned with those of our research mentors, will maximally benefit from the program.
FOCUS will employ evidence-based strategies to enhance professional development and effective mentorship of participants by:
- developing a Faculty Research and Career Advancement Plan (RCAP) to help mentees identify short- and long-term research and career goals
- engaging participant mentees in effective mentorship with a team of UC San Diego faculty; a research faculty mentor, a career underrepresented faculty mentor and a mentor from the trainee's home institution
- improving participant mentees knowledge and skills in specific professional development areas important for research success
FOCUS will enhance self-efficacy in research knowledge and success in obtaining NIH or equivalent grant funding by:
- immersing participants in effective strategies to develop research program plans
- facilitating the development of skills in writing effective grant proposals and manuscripts
- providing important tips on navigating pathways for academic advancement as well as submission and review, of both journal articles and grants
All trainees will develop a research and grant plan with the goal of using seed funds from small research project (SRP) pilot programs that can accelerate the course towards successful production and submission of an NIH or equivalent grant.
If you meet the eligibility criteria for participation, we will ask you for a full application.
First FOCUS cohort and faculty directors, Drs. JoAnn Trejo, Vivian Reznik, and Robert Ross on campus during the inagural Summer Institute held July 2019.