University of California, San Diego
Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences
Office/Lab Relocation Resources
The purpose of this guide is to help faculty and staff work with their Department and/or ORU administration to vacate their laboratory/office and relocate to a new facility.
- All moves are funded and managed by the Department and/or ORU administration in coordination with faculty and staff resources as appropriate.
- Plan ahead. Make sure your new space has adequate electrical outlets, backup emergency outlets, HVAC, lighting, gases, etc. for all your research equipment. Please contact Bic Pham-Le, PRMCAS Facilities Manager (858) 822-3879 to discuss facility needs in support of the new space. Bic will work closely with Department and/or ORU administration to determine the best path forward for the new laboratory or office space.
- If your move is an office move only, UC San Diego Blink maintains a webpage on "How to Relocate a UC San Diego Office". The link to that page is:
- If your move includes wet-lab space, UC San Diego Blink maintains a webpage on "How to Close or Relocate a UC San Diego Laboratory". The link to that page is:
UC San Diego Moving Services is available for office and small lab relocations. If your move is large, complex, or includes wet-lab materials, you may want to consider hiring an external moving company. For information on
outside moving services,
contact Todd Adams, (858) 534-6700.
- If you have incubators or biosafety cabinets, there are several steps for relocation.
- The equipment needs to be disconnected by UC San Diego Facilities Management.
- UC San Diego Environmental Health and Safety will work with the lab managers to decontaminate (before move) and re-certify the equipment (after move). 3. UC San Diego Facilities Management will reconnect the equipment. UC San Diego Environmental Health and Safety and UC San Diego Facilities Management can be found at the following links:
- If you have chemicals or other dangerous materials to be moved, contact UC San Diego Environmental Health and Safety for vendor information. UC San Diego Environmental Health and Safety can be found at link:
- If your lab or office includes specialized equipment like mass spectrometers, large format microscopy, or any other sensitive equipment, you may want to consider contacting the equipment vendor to help with a specialized move. Equipment vendors often can assist with moves and recalibration of their specialized equipment.
- Certain equipment moves by companies not approved by the vendor will result in a void on the equipment warrantee. If your move includes new, modified, or terminated telephones and/or activation of data ports, contact UC San Diego Administrative Computing and Telecommunications. The link to their CSR form is:
- For help with computer/server moves and configurations, each Department and/or ORU has a different support plan. Please contact your Department and/or ORU business office for guidance.
- For ordering new keys and/or re-keying the new location, UC San Diego Blink maintains a webpage "How to Request Lock or Change Keys". UC San Diego Lock and Key Services is responsible for all door hardware and distribution of physical keys. The UC San Diego Blink link can be found at:
- If your new location includes electronic card access controls, please contact Health Sciences Security for help. Their email address is: email@example.com
- If you need extra recycling bins to purge your files before the move or extra garbage bins for disposal, please contact UC San Diego Facilities Management at 858-534-2930.
- If you want to surplus equipment, furniture, or other items, please contact UC San Diego Surplus Sales. UC San Diego Blink maintains a webpage "How to Transfer Equipment to Surplus Sales" at the following link:
- Please make sure your vacated area is properly cleaned and all equipment/items are removed. Remember to check all shared spaces like cold rooms, equipment corridors, microscopy rooms, storage areas, etc. Your Department and/or ORU administration index number will be charged a higher fee if UC San Diego Facilities Management and/or UC San Diego Environmental Health and Safety are called in to clear your forgotten equipment, items, chemicals, etc.
- Contact UC San Diego Facilities Management before your move starts to arrange new office and lab cleaning services at your new location. UC SD Facilities Management can be found at the following link:
- Department and/or ORU administration should update UC San Diego Facilities Information System with new space occupancies, including occupant names, via the FIS system. The link to that system is:
- Remember to update your personal information in UC San Diego Blink via the following link:
- Notify UC San Diego Mail Services of your new location via the following link:
- New signs and nameplates are subject to UC San Diego and VCHS signage policies and procedures. Please contact Bic Pham-Le, Facilities Manager with PRMCAS at 858-822-3879 for guidance.