UC San Diego Department of Surgery Well Represented at American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress
The American College of Surgeons (ACS) Clinical Congress is a premier annual surgical meeting for surgeons, surgery residents, medical students, and members of surgical teams. The UC San Diego Department of Surgery was well represented at this year’s Clinical Congress, which was held from Oct. 27-31 in San Francisco.
Among the talks, presentations and panels led by UC San Diego faculty were the following:
- Dr. Jason Sicklick of the Division of Surgical Oncology delivered a talk on Gastrointestinal Stroma Tumors (GIST) as part of a session on Ten Hot Topics in Surgical Oncology. In a session on Precision Medicine, he presented an “Investigation of Profile-Related Evidence Determining Individualized Cancer Therapy (I-PREDICT). He also gave a talk on Discussan-Retroperitoneal/Pelvic Sarcoma, while Surgery Resident Dr. Jorge de La Torre (who is mentored by Dr. Sicklick) presented a plenary talk on GIST.
- Dr. Mahmoud Malas, Chief of the Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, delivered multiple talks. He gave two talks with Dr. Linda Wang. a PGY-5 resident at Harvard Medical School, titled “Endovascular Repair of Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm is Superior to Open Repair: Propensity Matched Analysis in the Vascular Quality Initiative” and “Impact of Treatment Delays on Outcomes of Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair.” He also gave a talk with Hanaa Dakour Aridi, postdoctoral research fellow at UC San Diego, called “Stent Design and Periprocedural Outcomes after Carotid Artery Stenting in the Vascular Quality Initiative.” Lastly, he gave a talk with Satinderjit Singh Locham, general surgery resident at UC San Diego, called “Hospital Volume Impacts the Outcomes of Endovascular Repair of Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysms.”
- Dr. Todd Costantini represented San Diego-Imperial as the State Chair of the Committee on Trauma. He was a panelist on the session “Ten Hot Topics in Emergency Acute Care Surgery,” presenting “Pelvis Fractures: How Can We Improve Outcomes?”
- Dr. Laura Godat is a member of the “Future Trauma Leaders” of the Committee on Trauma. She taught the day-long didactic course “Trauma Update,” presenting “Chest Trauma.”
- Dr. Amy Liepert is a member of the College’s Health Policy and Advocacy Group (HPAG) and during the Scientific Forum presented her abstract: “Physician Engagement in Health Policy Advocacy: A Survey Assessment.” She also moderated a Town Hall: “Advocacy 101: Why and How to Get Involved and Make a Difference.” She was runner-up for the 2019 Clinical Congress “Advocate of the Year” award.
- Dr. Allison Berndtson is a member of the Trauma Evaluation and Management (TEAM®) Course working group.
- Dr. Jay Doucet is a Governor of the ACS for San Diego-Imperial, a member of the national Committee on Trauma, a member of the Society of Critical Care Surgery Program Directors, a member of the Fellows Leadership Society and a SESAP 17 Author
- Dr. Sarah Blair of the Division of Breast Surgery delivered a presentation at the Special Session Commission on Cancer on “Cancer Surgery and Quality of Care Standards for Breast Cancer”
- Dr. Kevin Brumund of the Division of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery presented a talk called “Neck Ultrasonography” and participated in a lab session panel on Scanning Techniques for Head and Neck Ultrasonography
- Dr. Lauren E. McClain represented the Division of Minimally Invasive Surgery with her talk called “Pediatric Laparoscopic Completion Proctectomy with Ileal Pouch-Anal Anastomosis (IPAA) Using Rectal Eversion.”
- Farah Hussain, a pre-medical student working under the UC San Diego Division of Vascular Surgery, presented on the impact of hospital volume on outcomes of Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysms.
- General Surgery Resident Jonathon DeLong presented on Autotransplant for Treatment of Nutcracker Kidney with Pelvic Congestion Syndrome under the mentorship of Dr. Kristin Mekeel, chief of the Division of Transplant and Hepatobiliary Surgery.
Show additional content areas below