November 1, 2018
- November 30, 2018
- December 7, 2018
- January 18, 2019
Senior medical students and other applicants applying for internship/first-year residency (PGY-I) in surgery are selected through the National Resident Matching Program. An application, dean's report, transcript, and three letters of recommendation are required. All completed applications are considered, and arrangements for personal interviews are at the discretion of each Residency Review Committee.
Applicants applying directly to their residency specialty need not submit a separate application for the PGY-I (internship) year. Further information may be obtained by calling the Department of Surgery at 858-657-7220.
Residency Application Procedure
Applications for the surgery residency program are accepted electronically through ERAS. Applications are considered complete when the following documentation is received through ERAS:
- Common Application Form (CAF)
- CV Report (Generated by the Program from the CAF)
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript(s)
- Dean's Letter (expected after October 1st)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (One Chairman letter if possible)
- Official transcripts from NBME indicating USMLE scores (Parts 1 and 2 if available)
- NRMP Applicant Number
In addition to the above, students and graduates of international medical schools must provide the following:
- Verification of ECFMG certification (provided through ERAS)
- Verification of United States residency status (permanent resident, naturalized citizen, etc.).*
- Copy of valid (unexpired) Medical Board of California Authorization Letter.
Garth R. Jacobsen, MD FACS
Professor of Clinical Surgery
Program Director, General Surgery Residency