In Person Subinternships
UC San Diego Division of Plastic Surgery will open up away rotations to visiting students starting in Block 3 (July 26-August 22). Applicants can begin submitting requests on April 15, 2021. Notification decisions begin May 1, 2021.
Division of Plastic Surgery Scholarship for Underrepresented Students for Visiting Subinternships
One funded visiting subinternship position for 4 weeks in the division of plastic surgery at the University of California San Diego in San Diego, CA in August/ September 2021 for a highly qualified application with a background under-represented in medicine.
- Funding will include up to $2000 for housing, travel, and meals.
- The student will get to select a faculty member that will serve as a mentor and advisor.
- The student will meet 1:1 with the plastic surgery program director and chief.
- The student will have the opportunity to speak with plastic surgery residents at the program prior to starting the rotation to discuss tips and advice for succeeding during the clerkship.
- The student will receive an award upon completion of the clerkship.
Applicants for the funded subinternship must be fourth year medical students applying for integrated plastic surgery residency in Fall/Winter 2021, be eligible for the 2022 Match, and come from background underrepresented in medicine. This includes:
- UIM as defined by the AAMC to include African Americans, Latino Americans, mainland Puerto Ricans, Native Americans (American Indian, Native Hawaiians, and Alaskan Natives), and multiracial individuals
- First generation, low income (FGLI) students
- LGBTQ students
- Students without a plastic surgery residency program affiliated with their medical school
Applicants must complete the application form, including a personal statement describing career goals, a curriculum vitae, and a photograph. Students must also complete an application via VSAS for a visiting clerkship.
Applications are due: May 15th, 2021 and acceptances will be sent by May 30th, 2021.
Are you interested in a Virtual Subinternship with UCSD Division of Plastic Surgery?
The virtual subinternship is a time and content flexible experience. You can view a copy of the curriculim here. Eligibility for the 2022 Match for Plastic Surgery Residency is a requirement for acceptance. In resident selection for the UCSD Division of Plastic Surgery, we engage in holistic review of applications. We aim to provide balanced consideration to experiences, talents, and academic metrics. The focus on traditional metrics (USMLE score, grades, number of publications) is reduced while the emphasis on candidates' experiences, attributes, and commitment to the underserved is emphasized. The Division applies these same guiding principles when considering subinternship applications.
Follow us on Instagram to learn more about life as a UC San Diego Plastic Surgery Resident.