A wide variety of doctoral research projects are completed by each student under the mentorship of either SDSU or UCSD faculty. Sample list of projects done with UCSD mentors:
Bench Science Projects with Dr Ryan:
- Effects of Phosphodiesterase (PDE)-V inhibitors on cochlear hair cells and spiral ganglion nerve cells, Barbara Harris, 2009
- Sox 11 Expression in Developing Inner ears of Mice, Rachel Weichert, 2011
- The Effect of Surface Modifications of Titanium Substrates on Spiral Ganglia Dendrite Outgrowth. Thomas Wise 2013.
- Peptides With the Ability to Transit the Tympanic Membrane Do Not Influence Middle or Inner Ear Structure or Function. Kerry Beasley, 2015
- JNK Isoforms Play Different Roles in Noise-Induced Hearing Loss. Joseph Hardeman 2015.
- Ototoxicity monitoring of adult patients with cystic fibrosis, Aaron Jones, 2008.
- UHF hearing in patients with cystic fibrosis treated with tobramycin. Carrie Lakin, 2008.
- Establishment of normative variability in DPOAE and hearing levels for application in assessing acute change in inpatients receiving ototoxic medications, Hang Lam, 2014.
- Relationship between tobramycin peak/trough values and change in hearing levels, Beth Harris, 2014.
- Development of an iPad/iPhone application for self-administered ototoxic monitoring. Leah Martin, 2015.
- Factors associated with ototoxicity in cystic fibrosis patients treated with tobramycin. Suzanne Rotan, 2015.
- Self-reported balance function and head thrust test results for persons with cystic fibrosis. David Nguyen, 2017.
- Natural progression of hearing loss in persons with cystic fibrosis without aminoglycosides. Kaitlin Leggins, 2017
- CHAMP results for patients with possible Menieres disease, Yan Li; 2008.
- CHAMP: Early and late wave V identification for improved test performance, Sasha Fischang, 2009.
- Retrospective Chart Review of Exostosis Prevalence and Surgical Procedure, John King, 2009.
- Success-rate of IT injections for the treatment of hearing in SSNHL, MD & AIED. Kristina Celani, 2010.
- Laterality of exostosis in surfers due to evaporative cooling effect. John King, 2010.
- Carhart-notch resolution, Arineh Khatchatoorians, 2011.
- Hearing loss following gamma knife radiosurgery for acoustic neuroma, Robin Williams, 2013.
- ECoG: Area under the curve analysis vs. SP/AP ratio, Dave Stewart; 2008.
- Hearing sensitivity in HIV patients, Nicole Conrad, 2009.
- Normative values for tests of Eustachian tube function, Ariz Slali: 2009.
- Effectiveness of a tinnitus seminar, Caton Harris, 2009
- Comparison of ECoG and CHAMP test results for cochlear hydrops, Jerilyn Dutton; 2009.
- Vestibular evoked myogenic potentials in normal subjects, Colleen Benson, 2010.
- Response variability of the ocular VEMP, Jasmine Hu, 2012
- Multifrequency tympanometry in patients with Meniere's disease, Megan Spansail, 2010.
- Pupilometry as a measure of listening effort in patients with cochlear implants, Stephani Gonzales, 2013.
- Simultaneous recordings of auditory brainstem response and electrocochleographic response: response parameters and variability in normal hearing adults, Anja Arko, 2013.
- Susceptance and reflectance in endolymphatic hydrops. Collyn Gallant 2013.
- StackedABR UCSD normative data. Samantha Barbour. 2014.
- Efficiency of two SRT methods. Gina Gabrielli, 2014.
- Feasibility of recording oVEMP using a horizontal surface-recording electrode montage. Laura Rhee, 2015
- Early Indication of Noise Induced Hearing Loss in Young Adult Users of Personal Listening Devices. Carol Chou, 2015
- Effect of directional microphone technology on speech perception performance with cochlear implants. Stacey Ochoa Armas, 2017
- Frequency Spectrum of tinnitus, Chris Johnson 2017.