Service, Leadership, and Unique Opportunities
- UC San Diego RAD-AID Chapter: Residents are involved in both international outreach programs as well as local outreach programs to help improve radiology access in underserved populations.
- UCSD Student-Run Free Clinic Project: The radiology department provides free ultrasound examinations during this medical-student run free clinic on the first Wednesday of every month. This provides an additional opportunity to teach medical students while serving the community.
- Health4TheWorld: Residents are involved in radiology education across the globe by giving lectures to audiences spanning 80 countries.
- Local Community Service: Residents and faculty volunteer at numerous local charities and organizations throughout the year, such as the San Diego Food Bank, and Father Joe’s Villages for people struggling with homelessness.
Residents in Leadership
Our current radiology residents participate in numerous radiology department, UCSD, state, and national committees and councils including:
- UCSD Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC), IR Representative
- UCSD Resident Physician Council (RPC), IR Representative
- UCSD Radiology Residency Wellness Committee, Committee Members
- UCSD Health4TheWorld Chapter, Resident Representatives
- UCSD RAD-AID Chapter, Resident Representative
- San Diego Radiological Society and California Radiological Society, Representatives of the Resident and Fellow Executive Board
- RSNA Radiology, Resident Representative
- RSNA Machine Learning Steering Committee, Committee Member
- RSNA Case Collection, Resident Representative
- SIR RFS Vascular Service Line Subcommittee Co-Chairs
- SIR PAC
- SIR Residency Essentials Module Development Committee, Committee Member
- SNMMI Resident Committee, Committee Member
Diversity in Radiology
- Women in Radiology: The Women in Radiology Group at UC San Diego Radiology was established by the residents and faculty to provide camaraderie and informal mentorship for female medical students, trainees and faculty. The group strives to strengthen discussion, improve collaboration and create a sense of community among women radiologists through social gatherings and discussions on inclusion, careers in medicine, and recruitment of more women to radiology.
- RISE (Residents In Solidarity with Emerging Leaders) Program: This 12-month diversity near-peer mentorship program connects underrepresented/allied residents from Radiology, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Med/Peds, and Anesthesia with UCSD medical students to “empower and support them throughout their clerkship and beyond.”
- Howard University Residency Fair: UCSD Radiology residents attend the Howard University School of Medicine Residency Fair, providing an opportunity to network with and provide information to a diverse group of medical students from Howard University and neighboring medical schools.
- UC San Diego Radiology Diversity and Inclusion Initiative: This initiative includes outreach with local high schools with underrepresented students in medicine, teaching high school and college students from UC San Diego through hands-on ultrasound workshops through various medical career days, leading campus and specialty-wide discussions in diversity and inclusion, and conducting research projects to improve the access of quality healthcare to the local underserved community.
Unique Educational Opportunities
- Mini-MBA for Health Sciences Faculty: This course provided by the UCSD Rady School of Management and specifically tailored for healthcare faculty is a great opportunity for residents to explore the healthcare-business-innovations space at a discounted price.
- National Imaging Informatics Curriculum and Course: Residents are encouraged to take the Imaging Informatics course through RSNA. The course will be fully funded and residents will get one week off service to take the course.
- UC San Diego Annual Radiology Review Course on Coronado Island: Residents will have free access to this annual ABR Core Exam review course held in Spring and attended by residents from across the country.
- UC San Diego Post-Graduate Radiology Course on Coronado Island: Residents will have free access to this annual radiology course reviewing the latest and best practices in radiology. This course is held in the Fall and attended by radiologists from across the country.
- Clinical Research Enhancement through Supplemental Training (CREST Program): The Clinical Research Enhancement through Supplemental Training (CREST) program is designed to improve the training of clinician investigators and translational researchers by providing a comprehensive, cohesive infrastructure in an environment which promotes interaction between basic scientists and clinical researchers.
- Optional Rotations: Optional elective rotations are also offered at Balboa Naval Medical Center as well as electives abroad.
Annual Department Events
Incoming Resident and Fellow Welcome Party at Coronado Cays Yacht Club
Day at the Races at Del Mar Racing
Show additional content areas below