Purpose of the Research Council
To identify and advocate for the needs of basic and clinical research faculty, including resources, infrastructure, partnerships and recruitment of new faculty members.
The mission of the research council is to enhance the excellence and public health impact of Research Programs of the UCSD Department of Psychiatry by:
- conceptually organizing and prioritizing areas of research to guide collaborative, multidisciplinary, and translational research, and focus faculty recruitment efforts;
- facilitating cross-campus and cross-institute collaborative projects;
- identifying opportunities to increase research funding.
Cutting edge, innovative, multidisciplinary, and translational research conducted by Psychiatry faculty will enhance our understanding of the biological and behavioral bases of normal and abnormal brain function, including their interactions with environmental factors.
Organization of the Research Council:
The chairs of the research council are the Vice Chairs for Basic and Clinical Research (currently
). Faculty members of all levels are invited to serve on the research council for 3-year terms, members rotate on and off at the end of each academic year. Members are expected to attend the monthly meetings as often as possible. Research faculty who are not on the council can still submit their concerns and suggestions to the chairs or to any member.
is the administrative contact for the Research Council.
How to become a member of the Research Council:
Interested faculty should email the chairs to express their interest in joining. New members are chosen each fall.
Faculty Members of the Research Council 2021-2022
- Murray Stein, M.D., M.P.H., Co-Chair
- Abraham Palmer, Ph.D., Co-Chair
- Greg Appelbaum, Ph.D.
- Dewleen Baker, M.D.
- Amanda Bischoff-Grethe, Ph.D.
- Cinnamon Bloss, Ph.D.
- Riyan Cheng, Ph.D.
- Zafiris Daskalakis, M.D., Ph.D.
- Stephanie Dulawa, Ph.D.
- Adam Field, Ph.D.
- Guido Frank, M.D.
- Olivier George, Ph.D
- Igor Grant, M.D.
- Katia Harle, Ph.D.
- Ellen Lee, M.D.
- Greg Light, Ph.D.
- Thomas Marcotte, MD
- Carla Marienfeld, M.D.
- Benjamin Mckenna, Ph.D.
- Alejandro Meruelo, M.D., Ph.D.
- Arpi Minassian, Ph.D.
- Raeanne Moore, Ph.D.
- Sonya Norman, Ph.D.
- Matthew Panizzon, Ph.D.
- William Perry, Ph.D.
- Susan Powell, Ph.D.
- Dhakshin Ramanathan, M.D., Ph.D.
- Victoria Risbrough, Ph.D.
- Sandra Sanchez-Roige, Ph.D.
- Jonathan Sebat, Ph.D.
- Fiza Singh, M.D.
- Christine Smith, Ph.D.
- Neal Swerdlow, M.D., PhD
- Michael Taffe, Ph.D.
- Susan Tapert, Ph.D.
- Elizabeth Twamley, Ph.D.
- Cory Weissman, M.D.