Marisa Sklar, PhD, MS, is a Project Scientist and licensed clinical psychologist at the University of California San Diego. Her research aims to improve healthcare for mental illness through the implementation of evidence-based practices (EBPs). She has received funding through NIH, NIMH, and AHRQ to assess the impacts of multiple healthcare models and systems on patient, provider, organization, and system-level outcomes. Most recently her research has assessed the implementation of integrated care efforts such as the Patient-Centered Medical Home model of healthcare delivery.
- Implementation science
- Mental health recovery
- Integrated care
- Patient-centered medical home
- Quasi-experimental design
Dr. Sklar’s research aims to improve healthcare for mental illness through the implementation of evidence-based practices (EBPs). She was principal investigator of a NIMH-funded NRSA individual pre-doctoral training grant (F31-MH100758) that utilized propensity score analysis with multilevel modeling to explore mental health recovery in the patient-centered medical home. She was also principal investigator of an AHRQ-funded individual postdoctoral training grant (F32-1F32HS024192) that used mixed quantitative and qualitative methods to examine evidence-based practice implementation climate in the patient-centered medical home. Future research endeavors aim to utilize community-academic partnerships to enhance EBP implementation in integrated primary care settings, such as the patient-centered medical home.
- Sklar, M., Aarons, G. A., O’Connell, M., Davidson, L., Groessl, E. J. (2015). Mental health recovery in the patient-centered medical home. American Journal of Public Health, 105(9), 1926-1934. PMID: 26180945.
- Aarons, G. A., Sklar, M., Mustanski, B., Benbow, N., Brown, H. C. (2017). “Scaling out” evidence-based interventions to new populations or new health care delivery systems. Implementation Science, 12(1), 111-123.
- Aarons, G. A., Farahnak, L. R., Ehrhart, M. G., Sklar, M. (2014). Aligning leadership across systems and organizations to develop a strategic climate for evidence-based practice implementation. Annual Reviews of Public Health, 35, 255-274. PMCID: PMC4348088.
- Sklar, M., Groessl, E. J., Davidson, L., O’Connell, M., Aarons, G. (2013). Instruments for measuring mental health recovery: A systematic review. Clinical Psychology Review, 33(8), 1082-1095. PMID: 24080285.
- Aarons, G. A., Ehrhart, M. G., Farahnak, L., Sklar, M., Horowitz, J. (2015). Discrepancies in leader and follower ratings of transformational leadership: relationship with organizational culture in mental health. Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 1-12. PMID: 26164567.