Dr. Ijeoma Nwabuzor Ogbonnaya is an Assistant Professor at the School of Social Work at San Diego State University. She received her PhD from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Social Work in August 2012. Following her doctoral education, she completed a two year fellowship as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University Southern California. Dr. Ogbonnaya has demonstrated a scholarly record which includes work in areas related to domestic violence/intimate partner violence, race, child maltreatment, and depression.
Child welfare; Domestic violence/intimate partner violence; Mental health; Racial/ethnic disparities
Dr. Ogbonnaya’s primary research interests are domestic violence, mental health, and racial/ethnic disparities among child welfare populations. She is working to build a research portfolio that supports the need for specialized services for child welfare-involved families affected by domestic violence. She hopes to use this portfolio to support her long-term goal which is to design and implement child maltreatment prevention interventions for families affected by domestic violence.
- Ogbonnaya, I.N. & Kohl, P.L. (2016). Profiles of child-welfare involved women identified by caseworker as having a domestic violence problem: Then and now. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- Harper, B., Ogbonnaya, I. N., & McCollough, K. (2016). The effect of intimate partner violence on the psychosocial development of toddlers. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- Ogbonnaya, I. N., Finno-Velasquez, M., & Kohl, P.L. (2015). Domestic Violence and Immigration Status among Latina Mothers in the Child Welfare System: Findings from the National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-being II (NSCAW II). Child Abuse and Neglect, 39, 197-206.
- Ogbonnaya, I.N., Macy, R. J., Kupper, L. L., Martin, S. L & Bledsoe, S. E. (2013). Intimate partner violence and depressive symptoms before pregnancy, during pregnancy, and after infant delivery: An exploratory study. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 28(10), 2112-2133.
- Nurius, P. S., Macy, R. J., & Nwabuzor, I., Holt, V. L., (2010). Intimate partner survivors’ help-seeking and protection efforts: A person-oriented analysis. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 20, 1-28.