What is the purpose of research studies?
The purpose of research is to learn something about a group of people. It is usually done to improve or develop new methods of health care/education.
Are research studies voluntary?
Yes, all studies are voluntary. No one can force you to be in a study, and if you join a study, you can change your mind and stop at any time without penalty.
What happens if i decide to participate in a study?
Before you actually start participating you will be shown a consent form that will give you information about the study including things like:
* Purpose: What are the researchers trying to find out?
* Procedure: What will happen if you join the study?
* Risks: Will anything hurt or bother you?
* Benefits: Will the study help you? Some studies will not help you directly, but the results might help other people like you, people with illnesses and/or the next generation. Some studies wil pay you to participate.
* Confidentiality: Any information you provide will be kept safe. It will be used only for research purposes. Your identity and personal information will be protected.