Tobacco addiction causes substantial medical disease and shortens the life of individuals in recovery from alcohol or other drugs. As addiction treatment providers, we are changing our culture to integrate tobacco addiction treatment in our work. The
ATTOC Approach has been demonstrated to be effective in helping hundreds of substance abuse treatment programs to change their culture to address this deadly addiction through:
- Better patient care,
- Staff training and recovery,
- Effective communication, and
- Restrictions on tobacco use.
Recent research shows that treatment of tobacco addiction:
- Can be successfully integrated into other addiction treatment,
- Will not worsen recovery,
- Improves success of other key treatment outcomes (e.g. financial stability, job security),
- Offers additional benefits to employers.