We are so excited that you've chosen to join the field of Psychiatry and even more excited to introduce you to our training program! We wish we could have hosted your interview in-person so you could experience first-hand all that our program (and city) has to offer. We feel fortunate to be completing our training in America's Finest City, with phenomenal co-residents and dedicated faculty to support us along the way. Beyond year-round access to sunshine, tacos, and sparkling beaches, here are some other highlights of our program:
- Well-rounded, compassionate, hard-working residents from a variety of backgrounds and a shared interest in delivering excellent patient care
- Variety of clinical sites, patient populations, and insurance payers across all years of training
- Longitudinal integrated mental health primary care clinic throughout intern year
- Strong focus on resident wellness and resident well- being, through a resident-run Wellness Committee (yoga on the beach, anyone?!) and our SAVE program (Suicide and Adverse Events), which provides support for residents following completed patient suicides and events of patient violence toward trainees
- Weekly process groups with your class during PGY1 and PGY2 years, and individual (free!) psychodynamic therapy PGY3 year (did we mention our focus on your wellness?)
- Lectures from psychopharmacology gurus Dr. Stephen Stahl (the one and only!) and Dr. Jonathan Meyer (pharmacokinetic wizard and Deadhead)
- Highly flexible fourth year curriculum that allows residents to forge their own path and individualize the final year of training-- with no call at all!
- Abundant research opportunities to work with world-renowned faculty
- Independent union (San Diego House Staff Association) representing our UCSD residents' and fellows' interests (having a union advocate for your interests is invaluable)
We're excited to meet you and hope to welcome you to our residency family in 2021!
Best of luck!
Ashley, Tiffany, and BelindaChief Residents, 2020 - 2021