"Type 1 Diabetes: New Technologies and Therapeutics" Symposium: January 19, 2017
The UC San Diego Pediatric Diabetes Research Center (PDRC) and the Institute of Engineering in Medicine (IEM) are proud to present the "Type 1 Diabetes: New Technologies and Therapeutics" symposium on Thursday, January 19, 2017 at the Sanford Consortium for Regenerative Medicine in La Jolla.
Dr. Carla Greenbaum from the Benaroya Research Center will give the keynote presentation and set the stage by highlighting clinical issues, and the progress as well as challenges in improving therapies.
Session topics will focus on the artificial pancreas, stem cell therapies, and beta cell regeneration with presentations from the following distinguished speakers:
- Clark K. Colton, PhD — Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Edward Damiano, PhD — Boston University
- Francis J. Doyle III, PhD — Harvard University
- Howard Zisser, MD — UC Santa Barbara
- Bryan Laffitte, PhD — Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
- Jeremy Pettus, MD — UC San Diego
- Neal Devaraj, PhD — UC San Diego
- David Gough, PhD — UC San Diego
- Maike Sander MD — UC San Diego
Due to limited space, advance registration is required. To register, click here.
PDRC/IEM Symposium Planning Committee:
Maike Sander, MD
David Gough, PhD
Shu Chien, MD, PhD
Michael Gottschalk, MD, PhD
On February 23, 2015 the UCSD Pediatric Diabetes Research Center (PDRC) and the UCSD Sanford Stem Cell Clinical Center hosted a public forum to share exciting information about the ongoing first-ever clinical trial of a stem cell-derived therapy for patients with diabetes!
Working in partnership with ViaCyte, Inc., UC San Diego is the initial site for first-in-human testing of implanted cell therapy. More than 120 patients, advocates, scientists and clinicians were in attendance to hear more from the following leaders in diabetes research and care:
- Maike Sander, MD – UC San Diego
- Lawrence Goldstein, PhD – UC San Diego
- Paul Laikind, PhD - ViaCyte, Inc.
- Jeremy Pettus, MD – UC San Diego
- Michael Gottschalk, MD, PhD – UC San Diego/Rady Children’s Hospital
Watch the Video (full program):
The 4th Annual PDRC Research Symposium
The 4th Annual Pediatric Diabetes Research Center (PDRC) Symposium was held on January 31, 2014 at the Sanford Consortium for Regenerative Medicine in La Jolla.
Session topics focused on the life and death of beta cells in diabetes with presentations from the following distinguished speakers: Orian Shirihai (Boston University Medical Center), Fumihiko Urano (Washington University School of Medicine), James D. Johnson (The University of British Columbia), Chuxia Deng (NIH/NIDDK), Randal Kaufman (Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute), Ulupi Jhala (UC San Diego) and Wenxian Fu (UC San Diego).
Click Here for the program schedule.
Stay tuned for more information regarding the 5th Annual PDRC Symposium coming in 2015!