Thank you for your interest in our program! We hope you will find the information below helpful. Please check back for updates as we are continuing to work on the upcoming recruitment season to make it as best as it can be for you.
2021-2022 Interview Season
In keeping with public health recommendations related to the
Coronavirus pandemic and best practices for residency interviews all of our interview days will be held virtually this year via Zoom. This applies to all applicants that are offered an interview, including local applicants. Unfortunately, this also applies to in-person second looks as the health and safety of you and our community is a priority for us. We recognize that a virtual interview experience is a new territory for most of us so we are making every effort to create one that you will find enjoyable and informative!
AAMC Virtual Interviews: Applicant Preparation Guide
We receive over 1000 applications each year for 17-18 categorical positions. We interview approximately 200 qualified applicants each year. We take a holistic approach to reviewing all applications that emphasize applicants with a wide range of interests and diverse backgrounds. We are looking for a diverse group of residents to join our residency family that learns and succeeds best in a fast-paced, high volume, medium-size program that wants to be leaders in the field of pediatrics. We seek residents that value anti-racism, integrity, humility, communication, equity, innovation, excellence, advocacy, collaboration, inclusion, adaptability, and diversity. Successful residents in our program thrive by being part of a team that works closely together and supports each other in and outside of work.
Application Process for All Applicants
- All applications must be submitted through
ERAS ((Electronic Residency Application Service). We participate in the
NRMP (National Resident Matching Program).
- The application deadline is November 1st to be considered for the 2022 Match. All applications must include all of the application requirements below and must be received by this date. Incomplete applications will not be considered for an interview.
- Invitations to interview will be sent out beginning late October. Invites can be sent as late as mid-December.
- If you are applying to the
UC San Diego Combined Medicine/Pediatrics Residency or the
UC San Diego Child Neurology Residency you
do not have to apply to categorical pediatrics separately through ERAS. Apply only through those perspective programs unless you would like to also be considered for the categorical pediatrics residency separately. Please refer to the prospective residency program's website that you are applying to for application requirements.
Application Requirements for Categorical Pediatrics
- ERAS Application
- Medical Student Performance Report (MSPE)
- Personal Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation. You may submit up to four letters through ERAS. Department Chair's letter is optional.
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE Step 1 Score required by November 1st
- USMLE Step 2 CK Score is required by January 31st
- For categorical applicants only: USMLE Step 2 CS - we understand that at this point, Step 2 CS is not being offered until June 2021
- We do accept USMLE in lieu of COMLEX scores (COMLEX scores must also be submitted by the same dates as the USMLE)
- NRMP Number
We will hold interviews on Mondays and Thursdays. Interviews will start in late October and end in December.
Interview days will consist of an overview of our program and 3 interviews with our Program Director or Associate Program Director, 1 faculty member, and a Chief Resident. More details on the interview experience, including virtual resident socials if you receive an interview, coming soon.
We embrace the importance of having specific interview days for our applicants that self-identify as underrepresented in medicine. We will offer 3-4 of these interview days this season.
For the applicant that is planning to pursue a career in basic science or transitional research and headed towards fellowship. In addition to the typical interview day, we will organize meetings for the applicants with research faculty to discuss mutual interests and learn more about our rich community of investigative collaborations throughout San Diego.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- We do not have a minimum passing USMLE or COMLEX score
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are not able to send each applicant a response to their application
- Our categorical pediatric NRMP Program Code is 1049320C0
- Our ACGME Code is 3200531036
- The Primary Care Track is not currently a separate match through the NRMP. If you are interested in applying to our Primary Care Track please send us a separate e-mail,
Contact the Pediatric Residency Program
UCSD and Rady Children's Hospital Pediatric Residency Program
3020 Children's Way, MC 5124
San Diego, CA 92123-5124