The UCSD pediatrics training program provides a broad experience in the care of children with diverse pathologic conditions in the settings of both acute and chronic illness along with experience in child health maintenance. One of our unique characteristics is that we are the only training program serving a very large population so you are guaranteed to have access to the widest range of possible cases. In addition, we are located directly on an international border which brings even more diversity to our patient population.
Our UCSD pediatric resident participates in a variety of programs for continued intellectual growth including block protected time for education. Our program recognizes the importance of close supervision and mentorship. Each resident is paired with a mentor suited to their future clinical and/or
research interests. Additionally, exciting new growth has occurred in the department to expand resident exposure to
Global Health, advocacy training and quality improvement.
- 14 categorical residents per year --> 17 categorical residents per year starting 2018
- 2 Combined Child Neurology residents in PGY1 and PGY2
- 4 Medicine-Pediatrics residents per year
- Fifth-largest free-standing children's hospital in the nation
- Only level I pediatric trauma center within 100 miles
- Our faculty have tripled in size over the last decade
- Among the top Pediatric programs in NIH funding-ranked 7th in the nation in 2016