All meetings are monthly unless noted otherwise.
- PEM Division Meeting: This monthly meeting of all attending physicians, intermediate care physicians, nursing leadership, and fellows addresses administrative, financial, and operational issues pertaining to the division of emergency medicine at RCHSD.
- PEM Grand Rounds: Assigned faculty member or fellow will be expected to give a didactic presentation of their topic of choice to the faculty and fellows.
- Resuscitation Review (quarterly): This conference will discuss topic pertinent to critically ill patients, including case review, airway video review, and procedure review
- Behavioral Case Review (quarterly): Behavioral health cases that present to the ED are reviewed by faculty representatives from the psychiatry team.
- PEM / Child Protection Case Review (quarterly): Every child abuse case that presents to the ED is reviewed by the PEM faculty and fellows with faculty representatives from the child protection team.
- PEM Morbidity and Mortality Conference/Quality Improvement Conference: This monthly conference is devoted to reviewing cases with unexpected outcomes, possible diagnostic or management errors and all deaths.
- PEM / Radiology Case Conference/Ultrasound Conference: This conference series alternates monthly between the Radiology Case Conference (with the radiology faculty) to review interesting ED radiographs, and the ultrasound conference (with the pediatric emergency ultrasound faculty) which will be a combination of didactic education and case review.
- Fellowship Program Meeting: This fellow-only meeting is a forum where the fellowship directors, program coordinator, and fellows discuss fellowship-related issues.
- Teaching Tips: This session, led by a faculty member, will focus on brief educational or teaching pearls
- Fellows Case Presentation: The PEM fellow assigned to this conference will present an interesting patient
- PEM Attending Seminar Session: This conference will be led by a faculty member and will emphasize an interactive small-group, discussion-focused educational session
- Core Content Review: The fellows and faculty will systematically review the entire pediatric emergency medicine core curriculum in two years.
- Critical Analysis Conference: Using the JAMA User's Guide to the Medical Literature series, the fellow will learn how to interpret the medical literature and apply these skills to PEM articles.
- Scholarship Oversight Committee (SOC) Research Presentations: This conference is devoted to the presentation of proposed research projects, and updates on ongoing projects by the fellows and will be overseen by the SOC. The fellow assigned to this conference will be responsible for a formal presentation of his/her research.
- Fellow Simulation Session: These monthly sessions will occur in the Simulation Center at the UCSD School of Medicine.
- Trauma Morbidity and Mortality Conference: This multi-disciplinary conference reviews the trauma care given through the Emergency Department and the hospital.
- Research/QI Conference: This conference alternates monthly between research and QI topics, focusing specifically on principles specifically applicable to pediatric emergency medicine.
- Journal Club/Wellness: This quarterly conference will be held at a faculty member's house and will focus on physician wellness and other non-clinical topics.
Show additional content areas below