covid-19 information for UCSD PEDIATRICS Patients and Families
Dear UCSD Patients and Families,
The safety and well-being of our patients and community members continues to be our highest priority. UCSD continues to actively monitor and adapt to the growing number of COVID-19 cases in our communities. We have taken the following precautions to ensure patient confidence:
- We have contracted and begun enhanced "deep cleanings" nightly at all of our offices.
- We have taken steps to move our well visits for Newborns and children under 2 years to our Frost Street Office and will be directed to the larger check in desk.
- Non respiratory visits will be directed to check in at the smaller (Adolescent Medicine) check-in desk. We will defer older well visits until June 2020.
- All other visits can come to both sites, but all patients are being screened for risks at the time of their appointments and/or upon arrival at our offices so that we can direct them to the appropriate level of care.
- We take your child's health and safety seriously and understand your concerns for coming to the La Jolla Pediatric Office, adjacent to the UCSD Urgent Care. We are developing a process where vulnerable patients could wait in their cars and be called/texted to come in our back door for registration and physician appointment
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and may have had contact with a person with COVID-19, or recently traveled to countries with apparent community spread, please call our offices. It's important to call us before you come in. Calling ahead helps us to schedule appropriately, protect your children, other patients, their families, and employees.
To best facilitate the appropriate level of care for your child, we will be temporarily suspending My Chart general appointment scheduling. We have the ability to assess many medical problems over the phone and we encourage you to choose this option, knowing phone calls will be answered by nurses and/or physicians.
Lastly, while we are not able to conduct testing at our offices, we have some limited capacity to be able to collect samples that can then be sent to an outside laboratory for COVID-19 evaluation. Please note that this capacity is based on having adequate testing supplies and patients meeting public health criteria for testing.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit www.health.ucsd.edu.
You can also find more information about COVID-19 from these websites:
Thank you for choosing UCSD for your child's care. We are honored to be your trusted healthcare provider.
Bretten D. Pickering M.D.
Medical Director, UCSD Academic General Pediatrics
Show additional content areas below