Current Fellows and Research Projects
First Year: Manju Hurvitz, MD
Residency: Naval Medical Center
Medical School: U. Buffalo
Research: Improving bipap adherence in neuromuscular disease
Mentor: Dr. Rakesh Bhattacharjee, Pediatric Respiratory Medicine
Second Year: Chelsea Gatcliffe, MD
Residency: Holtz Children’s Hospital, Miami Fl.
Medical School – Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin IR
1)Genetic origins of severe childhood respiratory infections.
2) Evaluation of the Respiratory Tract Immune Response in
Pediatric Patients with Chronic Aspiration
Mentor: Dr. David Dimmock, Rady Children’s Genomics Institute
Third Year: Ruth Siew, MD
Medical School: U. Washington
Research: Azithromycin activity against Burkholderia
Mentor: Dr. Victor Nizet in conjunction with NIH T32 pharmacology training grant
Positions of Former Fellows1. Kathyn Akong, MD, PhD, 2012. Assistant professor of Pediatrics, UCSD.
2. Mindy Ross, MD, MBA, 2013. Assistant professor of Pediatrics, UCLA.
3. Matejka Cernelc-Kohan, MD, 2014. Assistant professor of Pediatrics, UCSD.
4. Taylor Inman, MD, 2016. Staff pulmonologist, Balboa Naval Medical Hospital, San Diego.
5. Marilynn Chan, MD, 2017. Assistant professor of Pediatrics, UCSF.
6. Divya Chhabra, MD, 2017. Assistant professor of Pediatrics, National Jewish Center, Denver, CO.
7. Elizabeth Duong, MD, 2018. Medical staff physician with research focus, UCSD.
Past Fellowship Research Projects1. Kathryn Akong, MD, PhD – Host defense and neutrophil nets in pneumonia and cystic fibrosis.
Mentor: Dr. Victor Nizet.
2. Matejka Cernelc-Kohan, MD – Role of extracellular vesicles in phenotypic alteration in lung fibrosis.
Mentor: Dr. Jim Hagood.
3. Mindy Ross, MD – Use of bioinformatics to distinguish asthma phenotypes.
Mentor: Dr. Lucila Ohno-Machado.
4. Taylor Inman, MD – Role of continuous glucose monitoring in cystic fibrosis related diabetes.
Mentor: Dr. Carla Demeterco.
5. Divya Chhabra, MD - Sex differences in DNA methylation during alveolar development.
Mentor: Dr. Jim Hagood.
6. Marilynn Chan, MD - Differential methylation patterns in the developing lung.
Mentor: Dr. Bing Ren.
7. Elizabeth Duong, MD - Single cell analysis of cell types critical to lung development.
Mentor: Dr. Kun Zhang.
Notable Fellow Awards and Grants
- Pediatric Scientist Development Program – Marilynn Chan, 2014; Elizabeth Duong, 2015.
- NIH Loan Repayment Program – Elizabeth Duong, 2016; Ruth Siew, 2017.
- NIH T32 Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology – Ruth Siew, 2017.
- American Thoracic Society Assembly on Pediatrics Scientific Abstract Award, Divya Chhabra, 2018.