Vanessa P. Scott, MD, FAAP
Vanessa P. Scott, MD, is a board-certified pediatrician who provides primary care for infants, children and young adults up to age 21. She is especially interested in helping with breastfeeding support, nutrition, preventive care and parenting techniques.
As a clinical instructor in the Department of Pediatrics at UC San Diego School of Medicine, Dr. Scott educates medical students and residents. Her research interests include parental vaccine hesitancy, pediatric vaccine receipt, digital health communication, and technological advances in patient-physician communication.
Dr. Scott completed a general academic fellowship in community health research at Columbia University Medical Center. She did residency training in pediatrics at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York and at UC San Diego School of Medicine. She earned her medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York and obtained a master's degree in epidemiology from Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. Dr. Scott is board certified in pediatrics.
She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP), and member of the Society for Pediatric Research and the Academic Pediatric Association.
In her free time, Dr. Scott stays active through tennis, yoga, surfing and running. She also enjoys drawing, photography, cooking with her husband, and playing trains with her son.
- Undergraduate Education:Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Medical Degree: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York
- Graduate Education: (Epidemiology) Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Residency: Pediatrics, Icahn School of Medicine, New York and UC San Diego School of Medicine
- Fellowship: Community Health Research at Columbia University Medical Center
- Special Certifications:
- Board Certified- Pediatrics
Areas of Clinical Interest
- Breastfeeding support
- Parenting techniques and resources
- Preventative care
Areas of Research Interest
- Pediatric vaccine uptake and parental vaccine hesitancy
- Digital health communication
- Technological advances in Patient-Physician interactions
Scott VP, Opel D, Reifler J, Rikin S, Barrett A, Stockwell M. “Clinic-Based Educational Interventions on Influenza Vaccination: A Randomized Controlled Trial." Revising manuscript
Scott VP, Opel D, Reifler J, Rikin S, Barrett A, Stockwell M. "Factors associated with increased parental vaccine hesitancy and intent to vaccinate against influenza in an urban, Latino population." Manuscript in progress.
- Kolff C, Scott VP, Stockwell M. “The Use of Technology to Promote Vaccination: A Social Ecological
Model Based Framework.” Human Vaccine and Immunotherapeutics. 2018 Jul 3;14(7):1636-46.
- Rikin S, Scott V, Shea S, LaRussa P, Stockwell MS. “Influenza Vaccination Beliefs and Practices in Elderly Primary Care Patients.” J Community Health, 2018 February; 43(1): 201-206.
- Guzman H, Yaszay B, Scott VP, Bastrom TP, and Mubarak SJ. "Early experience with medial femoral tension band plating in idiopathic genu valgum." J Child Orthop, 2011 February; 5(1): 11–17.
- Imrie M, Scott V, Stearns P, Bastrom T, Mubarak SJ. "Is ultrasound screening for DDH in babies born breech sufficient?" J Child Orthop, 2010 February; 4(1): 3–8.
- Scott VP, Opel D, Reifler J, Rikin S, Barrett A, Stockwell M. "Effect of educational handouts based on local vs national data on child influenza vaccine receipt, a randomized controlled trial." Platform presentation, Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Conference, Philadelphia, PA. March 16-18, 2018. Poster Symposia, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Toronto, CA. May 5-8, 2018.
- Scott VP, Opel D, Reifler J, Rikin S, Barrett A, Stockwell M. "Factors associated with increased parental vaccine hesitancy and intent to vaccinate against influenza in an urban, Latino population." Platform presentation, Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Conference, Philadelphia, PA. March 16-18, 2018. Poster Presentation, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Toronto, CA. May 5-8, 2018.
- Scott VP, Rikin S, Opel D, Reifler J, Stockwell M. "Parental attitudes and child receipt of influenza vaccine." Poster presentation, Pediatric Academic Societies Conference, San Francisco, CA. May 6-9, 2017.
- Scott VP, Ableman G, Shenk K, Pennicott K, Azova S, Mogilner L. “Pediatric Advocacy Projects at Mount Sinai.” Mount Sinai Grand Rounds, New York, NY. May 26, 2016.
- Scott VP. "Non-typhoidal Salmonella." San Diego Zoo Safari Park (Wild Animal Park) lecture series on Zoonotic Diseases. Global Health Rotation, UCSD Pediatrics. San Diego, CA. February 13, 2015.
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Pediatrics at UC San Diego
- Instructor/ Associate Physician in the Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University Medical Center
- 2017 - present Society for Pediatric Research (SPR), Member
- 2016 - present Academic Pediatric Associate (APA), Member
- 2013 - present American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), fellow
Show additional content areas below