Dr. Maya Kumar is an adolescent medicine pediatrician and assistant professor at UC San Diego. She believes that adolescence is one of the most critical developmental periods in the lifespan, and that compassionate, developmentally appropriate, and trauma-informed care for adolescents can create positive health outcomes for generations to come. She provides primary and subspecialty care for adolescents of diverse backgrounds in the UCSD Adolescent Medicine Clinic and provides attending coverage on the Medical-Behavioral Unit, a multidisciplinary eating disorder inpatient unit at Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego.
She is active in teaching medical students and residents and coordinates adolescent health rotations for trainees at the UCSD School of Medicine. She is often invited as a guest lecturer for general pediatricians and allied health trainees. Her scholarly interests include nutritional disorders and reproductive health in adolescents.
- Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Medical Sciences, University of Alberta
- Medical Degree: University of Alberta
- Residency: Pediatrics, Western University
- Adolescent Medicine Fellowship, University of Toronto
- Adolescent Medicine Fellowship, Children's Hospital Los Angeles
- Special Certifications:
- Board Certified, Adolescent Medicine, American Board of Pediatrics
- Board Certified, General Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
- Board Certified, Adolescent Medicine, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Board Certified, General Pediatrics, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Certified Nexplanon® Provider
Areas of Interest
- Nutritional Disorders in Adolescents
- Adolescent Reproductive Health
- Adolescent Development
Kumar M. Right question resolves teen’s pain dilemma. Contemp Pediatr. 2017;34(4):30-34.
- Maginot TR,
Kumar MM, Shiels J, Kaye WE, Rhee KE. Outcomes of an inpatient refeeding protocol in youth with anorexia nervosa: Rady Children's Hospital San Diego/University of California, San Diego. J Eat Disord. 2017; 5:1.
Kumar MM, Cowan HR, Erdman L, Kaufman M, Hick KM. Reach Out and Read is feasible and effective for adolescent mothers: A pilot study.
Matern Child Health J, 2016; 20(3):630-8.
Kumar M, Gahagan S, Pickering B, Gold J, Stein MT. Chronic headaches after a concussion in an obese 16-year-old girl.
Jour Develop Behav Pediatrics, 2016; 37(9): 771-774.
Kumar MM, Lim R, Langford C, Seabrook JA, Speechley KN, Lynch T. Sexual knowledge of Ontario adolescents after completion of high school sexual education requirements. J Paediatr Child Health, 2013;18(2):74-80.
Kumar MM, Boies EG, Sawyer MH, Kennedy M, Williams C, Rhee K. A Brief Training Video Improves Provider Recommendation of the Human Papillomavirus Vaccine. Poster Symposium, Pediatric Academic Societies 2017 Annual Conference, San Francisco, California. May 8, 2017.
- Rice L, Docter-Dixon A, Evans Y, Galagali P, Keough L,
Kumar M. Navigating the Waters of Motivational Interviewing: “OARS” for Adolescent Obesity Treatment. Nutrition and Obesity Special Interest Group Presentation, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine 2017 Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA. March 9, 2017.
Menstrual Madness: An Approach to Menstrual Disorders in Adolescents. Pediatric Grand Rounds, Scripps Mercy Department of Pediatrics, San Diego, CA. May 12, 2016.
Kumar M, Borzutzky C, Docter-Dixon A, Radzik M, Steinegger C, Taylor S.
From Feast to Famine: Preventing Disordered Eating in Overweight Adolescents. Workshop, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine 2016 Annual Conference, Washington, DC. March 10, 2016.
M.Health risk screening at the “well adolescent visit”: A process improvement initiative. Platform Presentation, Pediatric Academic Societies 2015 Annual Conference, San Diego, California. April 27, 2015.
- Adolescent Medicine Rotation Site Coordinator, UCSD/Rady Children’s Hospital, UCSD Pediatrics and Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Program, 7/1/16 - current
- Adolescent Medicine Educational Liaison, Pediatric Core Clinical Clerkship and Sub-Internships, UCSD School of Medicine, 7/1/16 - current
- Preceptor, Ambulatory Care Apprenticeship Program, UCSD School of Medicine, 2/1/2016 – current
- Committee member and committee chair for UCSD Medical Student Independent Study Projects
- Clinical preceptor for medical students and residents in the UCSD Adolescent Medicine Clinic and the Medical-Behavioral Eating Disorder Inpatient Unit at Rady Children’s Hospital
- Frequent didactic lectures for medical students, resident physicians, allied health professionals and trainees, general pediatricians, and subspecialty pediatricians
- Creator of several online adolescent medicine teaching modules for use in the Continuity Clinic Program for UCSD pediatrics and medicine/pediatrics residents
- Member of Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine Nutrition and Obesity Committee (3 year term, 2015-2018) – advocates for nutritional health of adolescents across the world
- Member of Advisory Board for First 5 First Steps Home Visiting Program, which promotes positive parenting and enhances child health in vulnerable families including those with adolescent parents
- Organizes Mock Interview Nights every 3-4 months with physician and medical student volunteers for low-income adolescents and adults receiving vocational training at San Diego Job Corps
- Contributor of adolescent health articles to Corner Clinic, the UC San Diego Health patient newsletter
- Reviewer for several peer reviewed journals including Maternal and Child Health Journal, American Journal of Public Health, and Public Library of Science
- Early Career Physician Representative, American Academy of Pediatrics California Chapter 3 (San Diego and Imperial Counties), December 2015 – current
- Chair, Division Faculty Website Workgroup for Division of Academic General Pediatrics, Adolescent Medicine, Child Development and Community Health (January 2017 – present)
- Project Lead, HPV Vaccine Provider Education and Promotion Workgroup, American Academy of Pediatrics California Chapter 3 (October 2015 – June 2016)