Douglas Wilson is an Academic General Pediatrician and Clinical Professor at UC San Diego. He works with primary care for infants, children and young adults up to age 21. Douglas believes that Pediatric patients of all ages, ethnicities, genders, developmental levels, gender identities and sexual preferences deserve the highest quality of care. He believes the work he is doing at UC San Diego Academic General Pediatrics is important because he is fundamentally committed to assuring that Pediatric Care at UC San Diego is up to date and evidence based. Further, he feels that his teaching and training of future pediatricians helps to assure that pediatrics in the US remains of the highest quality. A Major tenet that Dr. Wilson has lived by through all his years of medical practice is from a quote by Sir William Osler, the dear of Medical Education: “The practice of Medicine is an Art, not a trade; a calling, not a business; a calling in which your heart will be exercised equally with your head”.
Douglas also instructs medical students, residents and fellows at UC San Diego School of Medicine. He also served in the United States Navy for over a decade, where he held positions such as a Commander in the Medical Corps and Chiefs of pediatrics at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Annapolis, Md. from 1969-1971.
Douglas completed his residency in pediatrics and served as chief resident at the Naval Regional Medical Center in Oakland, Calif. He earned his medical degree from the University Of Tennessee College Of Medicine, in Memphis, Tenn. He is board-certified in general pediatrics and is current in maintenance of certificate in The American Board of Pediatrics.
Douglas received a special achievement award from the American Academy of Pediatrics for his commitment to teaching community continuity clinic to residents for over 25 years. He is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Douglas is consistently recognized as top doctor in San Diego Magazine’s Physicians of Exceptional Excellence annual survey performed in collaboration with the San Diego County Medical Society. In 2015 he received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the UCSD Pediatric Residency Program for excellence in teaching.
Areas of Interest
- Education of Medical Students and Residents in Pediatrics
- Dermatological Disorders in Pediatrics
- Growth and Development in Pediatrics
- Infectious Diseases
- Care of your new Baby, Group/Rady Children’s Health Network-General Care Chapter
- UCSD Infant feeding guide
- UCSD Toddler Feeding Guide
- Growth and Development Guides Birth- 18 months-children’s Primary care medical group
- UCSD Pediatric Resident Weekly educational presentations once every 6-8 weeks
- Attending Physician and Preceptor at Frost Street Office/Rady Children’s Hospital Health Center San Diego, California and Continuity Clinic for Pediatric Residents 2006-present.
- Acute Care Clinic for Pediatric Residents and UCSD Medical Students 2006-present.
- Preceptor, Primary Care Clinical Core Clerkship for the University of California, San Diego, College of Medicine. 1996-present
- Preceptor, Introduction to Clinical Pediatrics University of California, San Diego College of Medicine 1985-present
- Preceptor for Sub-Internship in Ambulatory Pediatrics 431 course, University of California, San Diego College of Medicine 2009-present
- Professor Panel Member Professor’s Rounds, Rady Children Hospital San Diego, California 2007-present
- Preceptor, Community Continuity Clinic University of California, San Diego Pediatric Residency Program 1994-present
- Attending Physician and Preceptor Ambulatory Care Center, UCSD Medical Center San Diego, California 1988-2006
- Co-Facilitator, Small Group Seminar Human Growth and Development Course University of California, San Diego College of Medicine 1983-1993
- Education Committee UCSD Academic General Pediatrics 2016- present
- Forms Committee Children’s Primary Care Medical Group II
- Staff Pediatrician, Navy Regional Medical Center San Diego, California 1971-1973
- Peer Review Committee, Children’s Primary Care Medical Group
- Director of In Office Teaching, Children’s Primary Care Medical Group 2006-2016
- Chairman of Pediatrics Member of Medical Executive Committee, Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, California 2004-2005
- Commander, Medical Corps, U.S. Navy 1973
- Chief of General Pediatrics Rady Children’s Hospital for two consecutive years.