Dr. Christina Chambers and Dr. Kenneth Lyons Jones
For more information on faculty publications, visit the Center for Better Beginnings website.
Dr. Chambers Awards
- John Hanlon Award for Outstanding Graduate Student in Epidemiology, San Diego State University (1997)
- UCSD Epidemiology and Biostatistics Exchange Abstract and Presentation Award (2000)
- F. Clarke Fraser New Investigator Award, Teratology Society (2006)
- 16th Annual Women Who Mean Business Awards, San Diego Business Journal (2009)
- UCSD National Center of Leadership in Academic Medicine Mentor Honor in the 2009 Junior Faculty Development Program, Health Sciences, University of California, San Diego (2009)
- Rady's Children's Hospital San Diego Excellence in Research Award. Presented at Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2015.
- Teratology Society Patricia Rodier Mid-Career Award in Research and Mentoring (2016)
Dr. Jones Awards
- "Excellence in Community Service." Awarded by University of California, San Diego (1982)
- Clare Burgener Foundation Service Award. San Diego California (1994)
- Joseph St. Geme Award for Education. Awarded by the Western Society of Pediatric Research (1995)
- Resolution of the City Council, City of San Diego Honoring the California Teratogen Information Service-Birth Defects Prevention Week Awarded by San Diego City Council Member Juan Vargas (1999)
- Resolution Commending California Teratogen Information Service-Birth Defects Prevention Week. Awarded by California Legislature Assembly (1999)
- The Bock Prize and Lectureship in Developmental Biology and Genetics - The Department of Pediatrics, Jefferson Medical College and the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children of the Nemours Foundation (2004)
- Henry Rosett Award. Awarded by the Research Society on Alcoholism (2004)
- Josef Warkany Lecturer Award. Awarded by the Teratology Society (2004)
- NOFAS Leadership Award. Awarded by the National Foundation on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome for "Excellence Award for Pioneering Research and Distinguished Contributions" (2005)
- The Colonel Harland Sanders Lifetime Achievement Award in Genetics – March of Dimes (2007)
- Elected into the Association of American Physicians (2010)
- Dr. David W. Smith Teaching Award - Academy of Pediatrics; Section on Genetics and Birth Defect Vancouver, BC (2011)
- Excellence in Research Award -Rady Children's Hospital San Diego, CA (2012)
- Starfish Award – 5th International Conference on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Vancouver, BC (2012)
- 2014 BMA Medical Book Awards 1st Prize Award for Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation (2014)
Dr. Chambers Presentations
The Aspen Institute Children's Forum, Investing in Children's Health and Well-Being. "The Danger All Around – Injuries and Environmental Hazards," Aspen, CO; July 2012.
The Society for Maternal Fetal-Medicine 33rd Annual Meeting – The Pregnancy Meeting™. "Debates: Substance Abuse: Every Clinician's Problem," San Francisco, CA; Feb 2013.
Building Bridges for Child Health, Pediatric Faculty Research Symposium. "Maternal Nutritional Status and the Prenatal Growth Trajectory Set in Motion," University of California, San Diego and Rady Children's Hospital San Diego; La Jolla, CA; Feb 2013.
Institute of Medicine of the National Academies Food and Nutrition Board. "Exploring Safe Caffeine Exposure Levels for Vulnerable Populations," Washington, DC; Aug 5-6, 2013.
UCSD 9th Annual Perinatal Symposium. "Overcoming Barriers to Flu Vaccination in Pregnancy," La Jolla, CA; Oct 11, 2013.
Northwestern Medicine, Perinatal Mental Health: Optimizing Maternal Treatment to Improve Infant Outcomes. "Reproductive Epidemiology: Interpreting Studies to Apply to Clinical Care," Chicago, IL; Nov 6-8, 2013.
Diabetes and Pregnancy National Research Conference 2013: Focusing on Future Outcomes. "Teratogenicity of Medication for Treatment of Diabetes and its Complications in Pregnancy," Anaheim, CA; Nov 7-9, 2013.
WE CAN'T WAIT IV! Early Childhood Mental Health Conference, From Science to Practice – Relationships Matter: Prenatal and Caregiver Factors. "Maternal Exposures in Pregnancy: Impact on Early Childhood Mental Health and Development," San Diego, CA; Sept 2013.
Perinatal Mental Health: Optimizing Maternal Treatment to Improve Infant Outcomes. "Nutritional Supplements and Modification of Alcohol-induced Developmental Deficits," Chicago, IL; Nov 2013.
Exploring the Biologic Basis for Population Disparity of Preterm Birth in California-A Demonstration Project. "Study Ideas Open Forum," Stanford, CA; Nov 11, 2013.
2013 Southwestern Gynecologic Assembly: New Answer to Old Questions. "Beyond the ABCDX's of Medications in Pregnancy and Lactation," Dallas, TX; Dec 6-7, 2013.
Reproductive Health Summit, Therapeutic Interventions in Pregnancy: Achieving Optimal Outcomes and Drug Safety. "Birth Defects, Teratology, and the OTIS Registry," Washington, DC; Jan 10-11, 2014.
2014 American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. "The Safety of Asthma Medications during Pregnancy: VAMPSS Prospective Cohort Data," San Diego, CA; Mar 1, 2014.
Division of Intramural Population Health Research, NICHD Seminar. "Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in Ukraine: The Role of Maternal Nutrition," Rockville, MD; Apr 11, 2014.
2014 Scientific Exchange Forum Academy of Knowledge. "Multiple Sclerosis, Teriflumoide, and Pregnancy," San Paolo, Brazil; May 16-17, 2014.
FDA Public Meeting Study Approaches and Methods to Evaluate the Safety of Drugs and Biological Products during Pregnancy in the Post-Approval Setting. "Perspectives from Teratogen Information Service," Silver Springs, MD; May 28-29, 2014.
National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) scientific panel. "Assessing the Public Health Burden of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD)," Atlanta, GA; Sep 8, 2014.
The Third European Conference on FASD. "The Impact of Micronutrient Supplementation in Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies on Gestational Age and Birth Size," Rome, Italy; Oct 20-22, 2014.
The Chadwick Center's Annual San Diego Conference on Child and Family Maltreatment. "Continuing Challenges with Recognition and Treatment for FASD in the United States," San Diego, CA; Jan 27, 2015.
The 6th International Conference on FASD: Research: Results and Relevance 2015 Integrating Research, Policy, and Promising Practice Around the World. "Strategies for Targeted Prevention and Intervention of Alcohol use in Women of Childbearing Age," Vancouver, BC; Mar 4, 2015.
Dr. Jones Presentations
Back (and) to the Future: FASD 40th Anniversary Professional Summit 1973-2013. "40 Years of Prenatal Alcohol Exposure & FASD," Atlantic City, NJ; Sep 26 - 27, 2013.
Western Society for Pediatric Research. Carmel, CA; Jan 22 - 26, 2014.
54th Annual Teratology Society Meeting. "Fetal Alcohol Syndrome," Bellevue, WA; June 28 - July 2, 2014.
FASER Case Conference. Sioux Falls, SD; Feb 23 - 26, 2014.
35th Annual David W. Smith Workshop on Malformations and Morphogenesis. "Minor Malformations (Mild Errors of Morphogenesis)," Madison, WI; July 25 - 30, 2014.