David Inwads-Breland, MD, MPH, FAAP
|Dr. David Inwards-Breland is Division Chief of the Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine Division at Rady Children’s Hospital; Co-Director of the Center for Gender Affirming Care and clinical professor at UC San Diego School of Medicine.|
Dr. Inwards-Breland has a passion for underserved communities such as LGBTQI youth and youth of color. He founded and served as the medical director of the Seattle Children’s Gender Clinic. He the recipient of numerous awards including Top Doctors, Award for Distinguished Service in Promoting Diversity at Seattle Children’s Hospital and Community Leader of the Year from the Greater Seattle Business Association. Dr. Inwards-Breland’s research interests include adolescent male health, depression, gender diverse youth and disenfranchised youth. He now sits on the American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-board on Adolescent Medicine.
admin email: firstname.lastname@example.org
+ Expand All
Bachelor of Arts in Biology, University of California, San Diego
UC Davis School of Medicine, CAMaster Degree:
UC Berkeley School of Public Health, CA
Pediatrics, Children’s Hospital and Research Center, Oakland, CA
Adolescent Medicine Fellowship, UC San Francisco, CA
- Board Certified in General Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
- Board Certified in Adolescent Medicine, American Board of Pediatrics
- World Professional Association of Transgender Health - Global Education Initiative (GEI) Certified
Areas of Interest
- Gender Diverse Youth
- Adolescent Depression
- LGBTQAI Health
- Male Health
5 Most Relevant Publications
- Breland, D.J., McCarty, C.A., Zhou, C., McCauley, E., Rockhill, C., Katon, W., Richardson, L.P. Determinants of Mental Health Service Use Among Depressed Adolescences General Hospital Psychiatry. General Hospital Psychiatry. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2013 Dec 10. pii: S0163-8343(13)00368-X.
- Gridley, S.J., Crouch, J.M., Evans, Y., Eng, W., Antoon, E., Lyapustina, M., Schimmel-Bristow, A., Woodward, J., Dundon, K., Schaff, R., McCarty, C., Ahrens, K., Breland D.J. “Youth and Caregiver Perspectives on Barriers to Gender-Affirming Healthcare for Transgender Youth.” J Adolesc Health. 2016 Sep;59(3):254-261.
- Guss CE, Inwards-Breland DJ, Ozer E, Vance S. Experiences with Querying Gender Identity Across Seven Adolescent Medicine Sites. J Adolesc Health. 2018 Oct;63(4):506-508.
- Inwards-Breland DJ, DiVall, S, Salehi, P, Crouch, J, Negaard, Morgan, Lu, Amanda, Albertson, K, Kantor, Alena, Ahrens, Kym. Youth and Parent Experiences in a Multidisciplinary Gender Clinic. Transgend Health. 2019 Apr 2;4(1):100-106.
- Salehi P, Divall, SA, Crouch, JM, Hopkinson, RA, Kroon, L, Lawrence, J, Wilfond, BS, Inwards-Breland, DJ. Review of Current Care Models for Transgender Youth and Application to the Development of a Multidisciplinary Clinic – The Seattle Children’s Hospital Experience. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2018 Apr;15(4):280-290.
5 Most Relevant Peer-Reviewed Presentations
- Invited speaker: Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine National Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, Workshop Title: “Exploring the Health Provider Toolkit for Adolescents and Young Adult Males” 2015
- Invited speaker: World Professional Association of Transgender Health (WPATH) Symposium, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Platform Presentation Title: “Youth and Caregiver Perspectives on Barriers to Transgender Healthcare in Youth” 2016
- Invited speaker: Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, Workshop Title: “Genderqueer, non-binary youth and how they fit into the transgender paradigm” 2017
- Invited speaker: Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine National Meeting, Washington, DC, Workshop Title: “Developing a Collaborative Gender Affirming Approach to Eating Disorder Management in Gender Nonconforming Youth” 2019
- Invited speaker: BC Children’s Hospital. Vancouver, BC, Canada, Grand Rounds Title: “Caring for Transgender Youth: The Multidisciplinary Seattle Children's Gender Clinic” 2019
- Coordinator, 4th year Medical Student Elective, Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle, WA
- College Faculty, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA
- Lecturer, Leadership Education in Adolescent Health (LEAH), University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Course Content Developer: School of Medicine Course Content, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Title: Lifecycles: LGBTQ Health
- Advisor, Increase Adolescent Male Use of Health Centers, Seattle Based Health Centers, Seattle, WA
- Member, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine Clinical Committee, 2009-2011
- Member, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine Program Committee, 2012-2014
- Advisor, The Boys Institute: Clinical Toolkit for Adolescent and Young Adult Males
- Fellow, Section on Adolescent Health, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2015 – present
- President and Vice President, Board of Directors, Seattle Counseling Services (SCS), Seattle, WA
- Peer reviewer for the Journal of Pediatrics, Transgender Health, Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Journal of Homosexuality, Journal of Adolescent Health
- Admission Executive Committee, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Member, Seattle Children’s Diversity Committee
- Editor, COVID-19: How Can I Protect Myself and Others?, Smithsonian Science for Global Goals Community Research Guide
Show additional content areas below