Our lab studies the function, dysfunction, and plasticity of the nervous and muscular systems. We utilize a cross-disciplinary approach at molecular, cellular, and tissue scales to address the following research priorities:
- To enhance surgical decision-making and the development of physical therapy protocols by understanding relationships between the ultrastructure of peripheral nerves and their mechanical and physiological function.
- To develop tissue engineering and biomedical device-based strategies for peripheral nerve regeneration.
- To reveal mechanisms guiding the remodeling of neuromuscular junctions.
- To elucidate mechanisms underlying the transport and remodeling of the axonal cytoskeleton.
- To understand mechanical influences on the morphology and function of neurons in the central nervous system.