Ophthalmology is an incredibly gratifying field, encompassing both medical and surgical treatments to preserve and improve sight for our patients.
ONLINE RESOURCES FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS IN OPHTHALMOLOGY
- Student Doctor
- The largest online forum for ophthalmology having information about applying in ophthalmology and miscellaneous questions.
- A fantastic resource was written by an ophthalmologist Timothy Root with entertaining lectures and text to explain ophthalmology as a medical student level.
- How Do Eye Match
- The website started by ophthalmology resident which has helpful information on applying to ophthalmology
TOP 10 REASONS TO BECOME AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST
- ABRIDGED FROM A PRESENTATION BY DANIEL CHAO, M.D., PH.D.
- 10. Ophthalmologists have a lot of toys.
- Ophthalmology is very technology-oriented with cutting edge lasers, microscopes, cameras, and various instruments to use to prevent blindness
- 9. The eye is a window into the soul and systemic disease
- Not only do diagnose eye disease, but we can save lives through the diagnosis of pituitary tumors, CNS aneurysms, sequela and hypertension and diabetes, and cancer
- 8. Ophthalmology clinic is actually a lot of fun
- Clinic consists of examination with various microscopes, office procedures such as lasers, injections, and biopsy. It is more than just a vehicle to sign up people for surgery.
- 7. Ophthalmology allows for excellent work-life balance
- After finishing training, most ophthalmologists work regular hours with time for family and other activities.
- 6. There is a subspecialty for every type of person and personality.
- Cornea, Pediatrics, Retina, Oncology, Glaucoma, Ocular Pathology, Neuro-ophthalmology- there is something for everyone
- 5. There are many opportunities for global health in ophthalmology
- The #1 cause of blindness in the world is a cataract. A simple 10-15 minute procedure that you learn in residency can literally “cure blindness” in many parts of the world. Few things are more satisfying than this
- 4. Ophthalmology surgeries are fun, rewarding and short.
- Most surgery is under the microscope, lasting between 10 minutes to 2 hours. - And you get to sit down like a civilized person!
- 3. Ophthalmologists are at the forefront of medical research and innovation
- Ophthalmology is an ideal field for MD/PhDs. Ophthalmology is at the forefront of biomedical research in gene therapy, stem cells, and regenerative medicine, imaging, vascular biology among others. All areas of research are represented within ophthalmology. There are huge opportunities for clinician-scientists in ophthalmology and much less competitive compared to saturated areas like oncology and neurology.
- 2. People care about their vision.
- People fear going blind more than dying. Thus, when you suggest treatment for their eyes, patients will usually follow it.
- 1. Ophthalmology is filled with happy, smart, nice people
- The ophthalmology community is filled with inspiring smart, happy and fun to be around people.
Show additional content areas below