The Division of Neurology cares for infants, children and teens with conditions of the nervous system. Expert care is provided by the highly skilled neurologists at Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego and state-of-the-art equipment, including electroencephalography (EEG), electromyography (EMG), and a variety of imaging modalities are used to diagnose a wide range of neurological problems.
Among our outpatient services, we have daily clinic appointments available at Rady Children's Hospital and various satellite clinics with general child neurologists who see patients with a variety of concerns including headaches, tics, developmental delays, autism, epilepsy, cerebral palsy and more. We also have subspeciality neurologists who provide tailored care to patients with specific diagnoses.
Advanced management for patients with medically refractory epilepsy is provided in our comprehensive epilepsy center. We have five board certified epileptologists and one epilepsy nurse practitioner who manage patients in the Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy Clinic. We also have a robust epilepsy surgery program in conjunction with pediatric neurosurgery.
Patients with neuromuscular disease are managed in our multidisciplinary Neuromuscular Clinic (Muscle Disease Clinic). The clinic involves several specialties including Neurology, Rehabilitation Medicine, Pulmonary/Respiratory Medicine, Genetics, Physical Therapy and Social Work.
We have two child neurologists who are board certified in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (NDD) who can provide specialized care for a broad spectrum of developmental disorders including autism and ADHD.
Other specialty clinics and programs:
- Angelman Syndrome Clinic
- Cerebrovascular Clinic
- Headache Clinic with ability to provide onabotulinumtoxinA (Botox) injections for select patients
- Movement Disorders Clinic
- Neuro-Metabolic Clinic
- Neuro-NICU Program (multidisciplinary)
- Neuro-Oncology Clinic and combined Neurology/Neurosurgery Brain Tumor Clinic
- Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center
- Rett Syndrome Clinic
- Tic/Tourette Center
- Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) Clinic (multidisciplinary)
We provide clinical care for patients admitted to Rady Children's Hospital on our inpatient neurology service for those admitted with primary neurologic complaints as well as consulting services for those patients admitted to other inpatient services including the pediatric and neonatal intensive care units.
- Rady Children’s is recognized as a Rettsyndrome.org Clinical Center for Excellence for its research and treatment of families affected by Rett syndrome.
- Our Comprehensive Epilepsy Center received Level 4 accreditation for 2016-2017 from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- We are one of two U.S. sites for the International Working Group on Neurotransmitter Related Disorders Registry.
- Our Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic is designated as a Comprehensive Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic by the Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance.
- Doris Trauner, M.D., received the Roger and Mary Brumback Lifetime Achievement Award from the Child Neurology Society in 2016.