Physicians have historically been one of the Shiley-Marcos Alzheimer's Disease Research Center's (ADRC) most valuable sources of participant referrals. We hope to improve physician confidence in making referrals to our center by helping them recognize the ways in which their patients' involvement in our center's programs may complement the clinical care they can provide.
We do not replace you as a health care provider, as we are not a treatment center. Rather, we seek a cooperative relationship in which our role is to give patients feedback on their current status and an opportunity to make a valuable contribution to research investigating Alzheimer's disease and related memory disorders. In addition, we offer no-cost Quality of Life Programs for patients and their caregivers whether they are willing and able to participate in research or not. Please bookmark our SMADRC Health Practitioner Handout for quicklinks.
How to Refer
We realize that you are extremely busy and we want to make the referral process as simple as possible. There are several ways to refer your patient for research and/or Quality of Life Programs participation.
To Refer for Research or Quality of Life Programs: 3 Easy Options!
1. New secure, HIPAA compliant, referral form: SMADRC Referral Form
2. You can send a secure e-mail to: email@example.com. Please put the word "SECURE" in the subject line of the email message. In the body of the message, please include the following information:
- Patient's name
- Reason for referral
- Patient/care partner contact name
- Patient/care partner contact information
- Provider contact information
3. You can provide your patient with our contact information and have them call us directly. If you would like for us to provide you and your team with brochures, flyers , or referral pads, please contact Christina Gigliotti, PhD. We will be happy to provide you with print copies for distribution to your patients.
Who to Refer
Recruiting diverse volunteers to discover ways to prevent, treat, and ultimately eradicate ADRD for clinical and biomarker studies as well as clinical trials.
Each study has specific inclusion and exclusion criteria. Major exclusions for most studies
- Major stroke
- Unstable medical or psychiatric conditions
- Severe cognitive impairment
- Lack of a study partner
- Less than 5 years of education or education equivalency
- Unable to participate in biomarker procedures (MRI, PET & LP)
We are committed to being prompt and professional when contacting your patients. We will be more than happy to give you updates regarding the patients you refer to the ADRC as long as the patient provides authorization. Please feel free to contact us at (858) 822-4800 if you would like more information or have questions.
*Click here to view our currently enrolling clinical trialsClinician Resources
CADC Screening Tool Pocket Guides and Flowsheet
The Assessment of Cognitive Complaints Toolkit for Alzheimer's Disease (ACCT-AD) Provider Wellness Visit/Screening Tool Pocket Guides and the ACCT-AD Provider Wellness Visit/Screening Tool Flow Sheet are the take along tools for providers to use to help screen for Alzheimer's disease and other related dementias during patient wellness visits. The pocket guides and flowsheet are companion pieces to the ACCT-AD Toolkit.
Assessment of Cognitive Complaints Toolkit for Alzheimer's Disease Provider Wellness Visit/Screening Tool Pocket Guides (PDF)
Assessment of Cognitive Complaints Toolkit for Alzheimer's Disease Provider Wellness Visit/Screening Tool Flow Sheet (PDF)