Our mission is to train the healthcare leaders of tomorrow who:
- Provide exceptional care to all patients
- Excel in academic research
- Succeed as educators
- Promote health equity
Through exposure to diverse patient populations at three world-class teaching hospitals and associated outpatient clinics, our residents learn to provide patient-centered, evidence-based care and develop leadership skills in a wide array of practice settings as clinician-educators, physician-scientists, primary care doctors, hospitalists, global health specialists, or healthcare administrators. We promote the recruitment, retention, and advancement of diverse medical professionals, including interns, residents, and faculty, from underrepresented groups within the Department of Medicine at UC San Diego.
Our program aims:
- To provide our residents with diverse clinical, educational, and research opportunities
- To provide a broad education and experience in internal medicine and its subspecialties through individualized opportunities and mentorship via our elective pathways
- To provide protected didactic time with an interactive curriculum covering a wide array of topics through morning teaching conferences, noon conferences, and Friday Schools
- To promote the recruitment and retention of diverse residents, including women and those from underrepresented groups in medicine and socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds, with the ultimate aim of improving representation of diverse faculty and health equity
Finally, the camaraderie and high quality of our residents are the hallmarks of our program. We are proud that many innovations in the program have been driven by our residents in collaboration with faculty and program leadership. Welcome to the UC San Diego Internal Medicine Residency Program website! We cannot wait for you to get to learn more about our residency family!