Our mission is to train the healthcare leaders of tomorrow who:
- Provide exceptional care to all patients
- Excel in academic research
- Succeed as educators and promote health equity
By providing exposure to diverse populations of patients at three world-class teaching hospitals and associated outpatient clinics, our residents learn to provide patient-centered, evidence-based care and develop skills for leadership in a wide array of practice settings as clinician-educators, physician-scientists, primary care doctors, hospitalists, global health specialists or healthcare administrators. We promote the increased recruitment, retention, and advancement of diverse medical professionals including internal medicine interns, residents, and faculty from underrepresented minority groups within the Department of Medicine at UC San Diego School of Medicine.
Our program aims:
- To provide diverse clinical, educational, & research opportunities and prepare our residents well for all career paths.
- To provide both a broad education and experience in internal medicine and its specialties, including individualized opportunities and mentorship via our elective pathways and unique training experiences.
- To provide protected didactic time with an interactive curriculum covering a wide array of topics through morning reports, noon conferences, and "Friday Schools".
- To promote the recruitment and retention of diverse residents, including women and those from underrepresented in medicine and socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds, with the ultimate aim of increasing the representation of diverse faculty and improving health equity.
Finally, the camaraderie and high quality of our residents are the hallmarks of our residency program. We are proud that many of the innovations in the residency program have been driven by our residents in collaboration with faculty and program leadership. Welcome to the UC San Diego IM residency website - we can't wait for you to get to know our residency family.