MAKE UR MARC Summer Fellowship
The Make UR MARC
Fellowship has been designed to address the imbalance of
underrepresented professionals in science and medicine by providing an
in-depth, hands-on opportunity for students underrepresented in STEM to
study alongside scientists well-established in their fields.This is a
10-week full-time paid fellowship within a UCSD laboratory for students
entering their junior or senior year of college. With guidance from a laboratory principal investigator and other staff members, the
fellow will carry out a research project, which entails performing
experiments, presenting their findings at a conference, and participating in discussions
to determine the project’s scientific direction.
- The application must be submitted by April 8, 2022.
- The fellow must commit to a full-time position (40 hours/week) in the laboratory for the 10-week period June 6-August 12, 2022.
fellow will be required to participate in laboratory and SRP
activities, which may include journal clubs, weekly meetings with staff,
- The fellow will be required to present their work at the UCSD Summer Research Conference.
- The fellow will be awarded a $5,000 stipend.
- The fellow will be able to work alongside and learn from professionals who are at various stages in their careers.
- By the end of the program, the fellow will be able to perform a variety of basic and advanced laboratory techniques.
- Applicants must be entering their junior or senior year of college.
- Applicants must be pursuing a STEM major with a focus in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, or related field.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
- Applicants must be willing to commit to full-time program participation (40 hours/week for 10 weeks).
Considerations in Applicant Selection
- Belonging to an underrepresented group in the scientific workforce (according to NIH definitions).
- Expressed interest in pursuing a long-term career in science or medicine.
- Articulated struggles in securing an undergraduate research opportunity (e.g. working student during the school year).
Application will soon be available.