Fourth Year Fellows
Dr. Nokes is a clinical fellow and physician-scientist at UCSD. He is a trained molecular biologist as well as the previous manager of a translational research lab prior to medical school. He attended the University of Arizona-Tucson for medical school, where he was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha. Throughout the course of his training, Dr. Nokes has published over 30 manuscripts as well as successfully conducted multiple research projects through Mayo Clinic Arizona as well as UCSD. He has been selected as an American Thoracic Society ASPIRE fellow, received a career development award from the Sleep Research Society for his work regarding negative effort dependence as a mechanism of upper airway collapse in obstructive sleep apnea, as well as joined the T32 grant under the mentorship of Atul Malhotra.
- 2005 - 2009: Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia - BS, Neurobiology/Behavioral Neuroscience
- 2009: Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia - MS, Cellular/Molecular Biology
- 2011 - 2015: College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona - MD
- 2015 - 2018: Internal Medicine Residency, Internal Medicine, Programs in Arizona, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Scottsdale, Arizona - Resident
He has a clinical interest in understanding and modulating upper airway physiology, and since his time at UCSD has become facile in both conducting and analyzing genioglossal EMG data. He has completed two prospective clinical trials during his fellowship examining transoral neuromuscular stimulation as a treatment modality for snoring and mild sleep apnea (under review) – details at Clinicaltrials.gov (NCT03913494) and Clinical trials.gov (NCT03829956). He plans to parlay these experiences into a K23 application in the coming year prior to joining faculty at UCSD.
- Tatum S. Simonson, Tracy L. Baker, Robert B. Banzett, Tammie Bishop, Jerome A. Dempsey, Jack L. Feldman, Patrice G. Guyenet, Emma J. Hodson, Gordon S. Mitchell, Esteban A. Moya, Brandon T. Nokes, Jeremy E. Orr, Robert L. Owens, Marc Poulin, Jean M. Rawling, Christopher N. Schmickl, Jyoti J. Watters, Magdy Younes, Atul Malhotra. Silent Hypoxaemia in COVID-19 patients. J Phys 2020.
- Nokes B, Raza H, Cartin-Ceba R, Lyng P, Krahn L, Wesselius L, Jokerst C, Umar S, Griffing L, Neville M, Malhotra A, Parish J. Individuals With Scleroderma May Have Increased Risk of Sleep-Disordered Breathing JCSM 2019.
- Nokes B, Malhotra A. International Consensus Statement on Obstructive Sleep Apnea (ICS-OSA) - Arousal Threshold. 2020 (in press).
- Malhotra A, Nokes B, DeYoung P, Owens R. Why do we sometimes ignore the chief complaint in sleep apnea? J Clin Sleep Med. 2020 Feb 5. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.8310. PMID: 32022681
- Nokes B, Raza H, Malhotra A. Pulmonary Hypertension and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. J Clin Sleep Med. 2020 Feb 5. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.8302. PMID: 3202267J Clin Sleep Med. 2020 Feb 5. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.8302
- Nokes B, Tseng A, Cartin-Ceba R, Jokerst C, Shamoun F, Mertz L. Anticoagulation in Behçet related intrathoracic vasculitis. Resp Med Case Reports. 2018.
- Nokes B, Jensen EA, Cartin-Ceba R: Unusual Cause of Severe Airflow Limitation in a Patient with Eisenmenger's Syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2018.
- Desai A, Mohan P, Nokes B, Seth D, Knapp S, Boustani M, Chalasani N, Fallon M, Calhoun E. Increasing Economic Burden in Hospitalized Cirrhotics: Analysis of a National Database. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. PMCID: PMC6708673 DOI: 10.14309/ctg.0000000000000062
- Nokes B, Afshar, K. Adjunctive therapies in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis—where do we stand? J Thorac Dis 2018.
- Lang J, Zhu W, Nokes B, Sheth G, Novak P, Fuchs L, Watts G, Futscher B, Mineyev N, Ring A, LeBeau L, Nagle R, Cranmer L. Characterization of a novel radiation-induced sarcoma cell line. J Surg Oncol. 2015 May; 111(6):669-82. Epub 2015 Feb 02. PMID: 25644184 PMCID: 4406876 DOI: 10.1002/jso.23860.
- Nokes B, Brighton A, Larsen B, Prasad P, Beamer S, Cartin-Ceba R, Swanson K. Pneumocytic Adenomyoepithelioma: A Case Providing Support for the Benignity of this Extremely Rare Pulmonary Neoplasm. Respir Med Case Rep. 2018.
- Nokes B, Sim Y, Gibson B, Byreddy S, Labiner DM, Coull B, Chong J. Assessment of stroke risk in southern Arizona, the pairing of acculturation and stroke risk factor development. J Immigr Minor Health. 2015 Apr; 17(2):513-8. PMID: 24173570 DOI: 10.1007/s10903-013-9940-3
Show additional content areas below