Frequently Asked Questions
- Where do fellows spend the majority of their clinical training at? JMC
- What is the procedural training like? Our fellows perform their own intubations and airway management. Additionally, our fellows perform hundreds of bronchoscopies as well as advanced procedures with the interventional pulmonary service.
- What is the salary for the fellows? Please review our GME website for further information.
- What stipends are offered? Our fellows receive educational and conference stipends. As a part of the San Diego House Staff Association (SDHSA), fellows are provided the same protection with respect to benefits and compensation as residents; therefore, our fellows also receive a housing stipend that helps offset the cost of living in San Diego.
- Can I be involved in national organizations? Yes! Actually, current and former UC San Diego PCCSM faculty members have held numerous leadership positions in national organizations such as ATS and CTS. This connection provides a lot of opportunities for the fellows to be involved.
- How does your fellowship program address diversity? We are committed to enhancing diversity within the PCCSM division and the PCCM fellowship program. We aspire to increase the number of underrepresented physicians and empower them to become future academic leaders. For example, the San Diego Lung Ladies provides a forum for female physicians from Pulmonary Critical Care, Sleep, Pulmonary alone (including Pediatrics and Adult), and Thoracic Surgery to discuss manners to overcome some of the gender discrimination in our profression. Their quarterly social meetings is a great source for informal mentoring for some of our female fellows.
Show additional content areas below