|UCOP Pooled Testing for SARS-CoV-2 to Screen HIV Providers to Protect HIV Patients||Davey Smith (PI) |
Antoine Chaillon (PI)
- Detect SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic care research personnel who are in direct contact with person with HIV (PWH)
- Protect the staff and PWH who volunteer for research studies from getting infected from an asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 positive individual
|UCOP Dynamics and Sources of SARS-CoV-2 Shedding to Limit SARS-CoV-2 Transmission||Davey Smith (PI)|
Antoine Chaillon (PI)
- Evaluate the duration and level of viral shedding of SARS-CoV-2 in various body fluids of participants with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection
|Pooled nucleic acid testing strategies for SARS-CoV-2 infection to protect health care research workers||Antoine Chaillon (PI)|
- Generate preliminary data that will be used for larger grant opportunity to validate an efficient and reliable platform for routine testing of SARS-CoV-2 infection in a workforce setting. If successful, it could be used in other settings to routinely screen the workforce.
|UCOP Forecasting hospital bed resources needed to address the COVID-19 outbreak in California counties||Natasha Martin (PI)|
- Model the future hospital bed, intensive care bed, and ventilator needs for COVID at a county level in California
|Return to Learn||
Natasha Martin (Co-PI)|
Chip Schooley (Co-PI)
Cheryl Anderson (Co-PI)
- Program to make SARS-CoV-2 testing available to resident undergraduate and graduate students this summer. The overall goal is to track the virus on campus and ensure early detection, contact tracing, and risk mitigation to better position the campus to resume activities in the fall.
|Proyecto EPICO||Steffanie Strathdee|
Ietza Bojorquez (COLEF)
Jaime Sepulveda (UCSF)
|To determine the prevalence and correlates of SARS-CoV-2, HIV and TB infections among migrants to Tijuana||Funded|
|Ethno-epidemiology of HCV, HIV and Overdose Associated with Drug Markets and Drug Tourism||Steffanie Strathdee (PI)|
Antoine Chaillon (Co-I)
Britt Skaathun (Co-I)
Jack Gilbert (Co-I)
Sarah Allard (Co-I)
|Substance users may be at higher risk of acquiring and transmitting SARS-CoV-2 due to their living conditions (e.g. crowded living spaces, homelessness, incarceration) and drug-seeking behaviors (e.g. time spent on the street or in shooting galleries) as well as specific types of substance may damage cilia and lung tissue, which could predispose to SARS-CoV-2 and complications (e.g. secondary bacterial infections). This supplemental study will assess the sample of participants in the new binational cohort of PWID of the parent grant (La Linea) (UCSD IRB # 191390) to address the proposed aims:|
- Aim 1: To determine the prevalence and correlates of subclinical and symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection among PWID within the SD/TJ border region.
- Aim 2: To determine the prevalence and correlates of SARS-CoV-2 shedding in nasal secretions and fecal specimens among PWID.
- Aim 3: To determine network features associated with cross-border transmission of subclinical SARS-CoV-2 infection among PWID.
- Aim 4: To use molecular epidemiology to determine the global migration of SARS-CoV-2 between PWID in San Diego and Tijuana and factors associated with local and global dispersal.
|COVID Clinical Registry and Repository||Eliah Aronoff-Spencer (PI)|
- Develop registry of positive COVID patients (and tested) with clinical factors and data
- Link to IRB studies
- Sample Repository
- Convalescent Serum
|DiElectric bArrier Discharge LaudrY bin (DEADLY) for COVID-19||NIWC Team|
Timi Adeyemi (PI)
Carlos Flores Molina (Co-I)
Doeg Rodriguez (Co-I)
Kris Buchanan (Co-I)
Aaron Carlin (PI)
Katherine Promer (Co-I)
Jair Siqueira-Neto (Co-I)
Ryan Maves (Co-I)
- This collaboration with the NIWC (Naval Information Warfare Center) aims to design and validate a novel device to decontaminate PPE effectively and orders of magnitude faster than currently available options.
|Rapid Examination of Collateral Threats to Population Behavioral Health during the COVID19 Pandemic||Alicia Nobles (PI)|
- Assess acute collateral effects for behavioral health, including mental health, substance use, and domestic violence, by examining differential patterns in online help seeking.
|Measuring Gender Equity and Empowerment for Monitoring and Evaluation: Identifying and Addressing Gaps in the Field||Anita Raj (PI)|
- To identify, develop and test reliable and valid measures of gender equity and empowerment for use in evaluations, large scale surveys as well as for rapid surveys. We have developed
Gender Survey Modules for COVID-19 research to assess issues such as sexual exploitation, gender based violence, menstrual hygiene, mental health, social support, and others.
|The COPE Study: Capturing Women's Experiences with Mental Health and Violence in Outbreak and Pandemic Environments||Jamila K. Stockman|
Katherine M. Anderson
- Capture violence victimization and perpetration and mental health associated with COVID-19 exposure, prevention efforts, and stressors.
|Safer At School Early Alert for K-12 Schools (SASEA)||Rebecca Fielding-Miller (PI)|
Rob Knight (Co-PI)
Gene Yeo (Co-I)
Louise Laurent (Co-I)
Laura Kohn (Co-I)
Natasha Martin (Consult)
Richard Garfein (Consult)
Tommi Gaines (Consult)
Borsika Rabin (Consult)
- Determine the validity, reliability, and sensitivity of alternative monitoring and testing strategies for K-12 sites.
- Determine potential real-world effectiveness of a wastewater early alert system for K-12 sites.
- Develop best-practice implementation protocols to ensure long-term project sustainability using an implementation science framework and consulting stakeholders at the county, district, and individual school level.
|Impact of COVID-19 on tuberculosis services in migrant population from Baja California, Mexico||Richard Garfein (US PI) |
Raquel Muñiz-Salazar (Mexico PI)
- To describe the impact of COVID-19 outbreak on the performance of the Mexican National Tuberculosis Program on migrant populations in Baja California.
|Baja California, Mexico COVID-19 Surveillance Study||Linda Hill (US PI)|
Oscar Efren Zazueta (Mexico PI)
Ietza Bojorquez (Co-I)
Richard Garfein (Co-I)
Timothy Rodwell (Co-I)
Steffanie Strathdee (Co-I)
Lucy Horton (Co-I)
Rene Machado (Mexico Co-I)
Manuel Sanchez Alavez (Mexico Co-I)
Raquel Muñiz-Salazar (Mexico Co-I)
- To estimate the prevalence and incidence of COVID-19 in the three major cities in Baja California, Mexico (Tijuana, Mexicali and Ensenada).
- Describe the knowledge, attitudes, and practices around COVID-19 among minors and adults living in Baja California.