|UCOP Pooled Testing for SARS-CoV-2 to Screen HIV Providers to Protect HIV Patients||Davey Smith (PI) |
Antoine Chaillon (PI)
- Detect SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic care research personnel who are in direct contact with person with HIV (PWH)
- Protect the staff and PWH who volunteer for research studies from getting infected from an asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 positive individual
|UCOP Dynamics and Sources of SARS-CoV-2 Shedding to Limit SARS-CoV-2 Transmission||Davey Smith (PI)|
Antoine Chaillon (PI)
- Evaluate the duration and level of viral shedding of SARS-CoV-2 in various body fluids of participants with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection
|Pooled nucleic acid testing strategies for SARS-CoV-2 infection to protect health care research workers||Antoine Chaillon (PI)|
- Generate preliminary data that will be used for larger grant opportunity to validate an efficient and reliable platform for routine testing of SARS-CoV-2 infection in a workforce setting. If successful, it could be used in other settings to routinely screen the workforce.
|UCOP Forecasting hospital bed resources needed to address the COVID-19 outbreak in California counties||Natasha Martin (PI)|
- Model the future hospital bed, intensive care bed, and ventilator needs for COVID at a county level in California
|Return to Learn||Natasha Martin (Co-PI)|
Chip Schooley (Co-PI)
Cheryl Anderson (Co-PI)
- Program to make SARS-CoV-2 testing available to resident undergraduate and graduate students this summer. The overall goal is to track the virus on campus and ensure early detection, contact tracing, and risk mitigation to better position the campus to resume activities in the fall.
|Ethno-epidemiology of HCV, HIV and Overdose Associated with Drug Markets and Drug Tourism||Steffanie Strathdee (PI)|
Antoine Chaillon (Co-I)
Britt Skaathun (Co-I)
Jack Gilbert (Co-I)
Sarah Allard (Co-I)
|Substance users may be at higher risk of acquiring and transmitting SARS-CoV-2 due to their living conditions (e.g. crowded living spaces, homelessness, incarceration) and drug-seeking behaviors (e.g. time spent on the street or in shooting galleries) as well as specific types of substance may damage cilia and lung tissue, which could predispose to SARS-CoV-2 and complications (e.g. secondary bacterial infections). This supplemental study will assess the sample of participants in the new binational cohort of PWID of the parent grant (La Linea) (UCSD IRB # 191390) to address the proposed aims:|
- Aim 1: To determine the prevalence and correlates of subclinical and symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection among PWID within the SD/TJ border region.
- Aim 2: To determine the prevalence and correlates of SARS-CoV-2 shedding in nasal secretions and fecal specimens among PWID.
- Aim 3: To determine network features associated with cross-border transmission of subclinical SARS-CoV-2 infection among PWID.
- Aim 4: To use molecular epidemiology to determine the global migration of SARS-CoV-2 between PWID in San Diego and Tijuana and factors associated with local and global dispersal.
|COVID Clinical Registry and Repository||Eliah Aronoff-Spencer (PI)|
- Develop Registry of positive Covid patients (and tested) with clinical factors and data
- Link to IRB studies
- Sample Repository
- Convalescent serum
|DiElectric bArrier Discharge LaudrY bin (DEADLY) for COVID-19||NIWC Team|
Timi Adeyemi (PI)
Carlos Flores Molina (Co-I)
Doeg Rodriguez (Co-I)
Kris Buchanan (Co-I)
Aaron Carlin (PI)
Katherine Promer (Co-I)
Jair Siqueira-Neto (Co-I)
Ryan Maves (Co-I)
- This collaboration with the NIWC (Naval Information Warfare Center) aims to design and validate a novel device to decontaminate PPE effectively and orders of magnitude faster than currently available options.
|Rapid Examination of Collateral Threats to Population Behavioral Health during the COVID19 Pandemic||Alicia Nobles (PI)|
- Assess acute collateral effects for behavioral health, including mental health, substance use, and domestic violence, by examining differential patterns in online help seeking.
|Measuring Gender Equity and Empowerment for Monitoring and Evaluation: Identifying and Addressing Gaps in the Field||Anita Raj (PI)|
- To identify, develop and test reliable and valid measures of gender equity and empowerment for use in evaluations, large scale surveys as well as for rapid surveys. We have developed Gender Survey Modules for COVID-19 research to assess issues such as sexual exploitation, gender based violence, menstrual hygiene, mental health, social support, and others.
|The COVID-19 Prevention Trials Network (COVPN) - will support late-stage clinical trials of promising vaccines and monoclonal antibodies.||Susan Little (Local PI)|
- Will vary by study; will prioritize communities most vulnerable to COVID-19's severe outcomes.
|The COPE Study: Capturing Women's Experiences with Mental Health and Violence in Outbreak and Pandemic Environments||Jamila K. Stockman|
Katherine M. Anderson
- Capture violence victimization and perpetration and mental health associated with COVID-19 exposure, prevention efforts, and stressors.
|Pulmonary Mold Infections in Critically Ill COVID19 Patients in Intensive Care Units - an explorative multinational trial
- The primary objective of this study is to determine the prevalence of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA) in patients with critical COVID19 in intensive care units.
- Secondary objectives: Determine diagnostic performance of BALF-GM, LFD, LFA for IPA in COVID19; Determine radiological findings on chest imaging in COVID19 patients with and without IPA; Outcome of COVID19 patients on ICU with and without IPA; Length of ICU stay in COVID19 patients with and without IPA; Prognostic potential of plasma and BALF soluble urokinase activator receptor (suPAR) (8), IL-6, and IL-8 in COVID19 patients with and without IPA
|Co-infections with COVID-19||Martin Hoenigl|
- Identify co-infections in COVID-19 non-invasively
|Surveillance, social network spread and control of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection among people with and without HIV||Susan Little (PI)
Davey Smith (Co-I)
Britt Skaathun (Co-I)
Annick Bórquez (Co-I)
Tom Rogers (Co-I)
|To determine the rate of asymptomatic CoV-2 infection and associated social network spread among persons with and without HIV in San Diego County, we will:|
- Compare the rate of current asymptomatic and past CoV-2 infection and the duration of CoV-2 viral shedding among young adults with and without HIV infection,
- Determine if the sociodemographic and network features typically associated with HIV risk are also associated with community spread of asymptomatic CoV-2 infection, and
- Quantify the contribution of CoV-2 asymptomatically infected persons to incidence among people with and without HIV and identify effective intervention strategies to reduce it, using dynamic modeling informed by network analyses.
|Rapid Sero-Molecular Surveillance of SD HCW||Becky Colman
- Establish prevalence of pre/asymptomatic shedders and anti-CV2 seroconversion in HCW in SD County and Community
|Immune Profiling of Moldova TB patients and Close Contacts||Don Catanzaro
- Characterize the CV2-specific immune responses in TB pts and close contacts with and without LTBI in Moldova
|POC Dx for COVID-19||Chris Cooney|
- Validate novel COVID assay
|POC Ag Test for SARS-CoV-2||Tim Rodwell|
- Develop Novel POC SARS CV2 Ag Detection Test
|NOSI supplement to AI131385 (LAST GIFT) Mapping SARS-CoV-2 and Immune Response across the Human Body during COVID-19||Davey Smith (PI)|
- Characterize the molecular determinants and consequences of SARS-CoV-2 virulence across the human body.
|NOSI supplement to CFAR Pooled Testing for SARS-CoV-2||Davey Smith (PI)|
- Cost-effective screening approach to determine the prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in the San Diego population.
|HSR&D Rapid Response Projects for Time-Sensitive Topics: Pooled Testing for SARS-CoV-2 in Vulnerable Populations||Wang-Rodriguez (PI)|
- Develop and validate a secured platform of sample collection and testing for SARS-CoV-2.
|PrEP for COVID-19||Davey Smith|
- Determine if HCQ is an effective prophylactic agent for COVID-19.
|Modeling UCSD campus reopening strategies||Natasha Martin (PI)|
Victor De Gruttola
- Compare the impact of various housing and classroom enrollment strategies on COVID risk at UCSD
|Understand T cell and B cell immune responses||Aaron Carlin|
- Broadly characterize the T and B cell immune responses during the acute and convalescent phases of COVID-19 infection.
|Developing in vitro models to study SARS-CoV-2 host pathogen interactions||Aaron Carlin|
- Develop human relevant in vitro models to study the host-viral interactions contributing COVID-19 disease pathology
|Evaluation of SARS-CoV-2 Immunoglobulin for Prevention of Infection in High Risk Situations||John A. Zaia|
Michael N. Oxman
- To produce COVID-IG and use it in a large placebo-controlled trial to prevent COVID-19 in healthcare workers and vulnerable patients.
|Repurposed anti-malarial drugs and novel anti-malarial compounds for use in COVID-19 prophylaxis and treatment||Pre-clinical|
Digital Clinical Trials Group
- Identify approved agents with in-vitro activity against COVID-19
- Conduct trials to establish treatment efficacy, dosing and effect of these agents on viral shedding
- Use as prophylactic agents. Expansion of novel compounds.
|Impact of COVID-19 among people living with HIV (PWHIV) in the CNICS cohort: overall and symptomatic incidence, predictors of disease, adverse, clinical outcomes, and mortality ||Edward Cachay|
- Determine the overall and symptomatic incidence and case-fatality rates of PWHIV with COVID-19
- Ascertain predictors of adverse clinical outcomes (hospitalization, ICU admission, intubation) and mortality associated with COVID-19 among PWHIV
- Assess the proportion of PWHIV who have asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic COVID-19 infection
- Cohort analysis using data from The CFAR Network of Integrated Clinical Systems (CNICS) research network across the USA