Dr. Gupta completed his residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Mercy and stayed on as an academic hospitalist at the department of Critical Care Medicine, UPMC. He joined UCSD in 2014.
He serves on editorial boards of several peer-reviewed journals (PLosONE, Medicine, Journal of Medical Case Reports etc.) and enjoys medical editing. He has over 100 publications in peer- reviewed journals, book chapters, and presentations to his credit. He has been a part of many national and international scientific meetings as an invited faculty and organizing committee member. His research interests include infection control, geriatrics, patient-physician communication/education and bioethics. He has pioneered an innovative curriculum to enhance scientific productivity for undergraduate and graduate medical trainees. He serves on the Research committee for SHM and ACP Governor Council (CAS3). At UCSD, he is a part of various committees- Infection Control, Electives, Patient Safety, and MERP to name a few. He regularly directs the ACP regional research competitions. He is an elected fellow of ACP and Senior Fellow of SHM.
In his free time he loves outdoor activities, cooking and trying out various cuisines albeit vegetarian!
Ally M, Jenkins IH, Gupta V. Mucormycosis: More than meets the eye! Am J Med. 2019 Apr 29. pii: S0002-9343(19)30345-6.
• Chopra V, Burden M, Jones C, Mueller S, Gupta V et. al. State of Hospital Medicine Research: Results of A National Survey. J Hosp Med. 2019 Apr; 14(4): 207-211.
• Thomas R, Gupta V, Kwan B. A second look at streptococcus sanguinis and the colon. BMJ Case Rep Jun 29; 2018. pii: bcr-2018-224799.
• Pon T, Mahajan A, Rosenberg A, Amin A, Shah D, Jenkins I, Gupta V, et al. Platelet response to direct thrombin inhibitor inhibitor or Fondaparinux treatment in patients with suspected heparin induced thrombocytopenia. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2018; 45:536–542.
• Rahman R, Saba S, Bazaz R, Gupta V et. al. Infection And Readmission Rate Of Cardiac Implantable Electronic Device (CIED) Insertions: An Observational Single Center Study. Am J Infect Control 2016; 44(3): 278-82.
• Pruthi S, Gupta V, Goel A. Medical Students Hanging By A Thread. Educ Health (Abindon) 2015; 28(2) 150-1.
• Dhawan N, Pandya N, Khalili M, Bautista M, Duggal A, Bahl N, Gupta V. Predictors of mortality for Nursing Home-Acquired Pneumonia- A Systematic Review. BioMed Res Int. 2015; 2015: 285983.
• Gupta V, Gulati N, Bahl J, Bajwa J, Dhawan N. Bullosis Diabeticorum: rare presentation of a common disease. Case Rep Endocrinol. 2014; 2014: 862912.
• Kumar P, Tiwari SC, Goel A, Sreenivas V, Kumar N, Tripathi RK, Gupta V, Dey AB. Novel occupational therapy interventions may improve quality of life in older adults with dementia. Int Arch Med. 2014; 7: 26.
• Goel A, Chhabra G, Weijma R, Solari M, Thornton S, Achondo B, Pruthi S, Gupta V, Kalantri SP, Ramavat AS, Kalra OP. End-of-Life Care Attitudes, Values, and Practices Among Health Care Workers. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2014; 31:139-147.
• Gupta V, Yassin MH. Infection and hemodialysis access: An updated review. Infect Disord Drug Targets 2013; 13: 196-205.
• Yassin MH, Gupta V. Role of Infection Control in prevention of Hepatitis B virus (HBV) in hemodialysis (HD) patients. Infect Disord Drug Targets 2013; 13: 162-168.
• Gupta V, Yassin MH. Infection Control: A Paradigm Shift. Infect Disord Drug Targets 2013; 13: 155.
• Gupta V, Yassin MH. HIV Pre exposure prophylaxis: walking ahead on a tight rope. South Med J 2012; 105: 189-191.
• Motla M, Manaktala S, Gupta V, Aggarwal M, Bhoi SK, Aggarwal P, Goel A. Sonographic evidence of ascites, pleuro-pericardial effusion and gall bladder wall edema may be used as non-invasive rapid diagnostic markers in subjects with probable dengue fever. Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26: 335-41.
• Gupta V, Pinevich AJ. Curbing readmission rates: An uphill task. South Med J 2010; 103: 1077.
• Gupta V, Goel A. Male circumcision for prevention of HIV transmission. Lancet 2009; 374: 1497.
• Lippert S, Levine AC, Becker J et al. International emergency medicine: A review of the literature from 2008. Acad Emerg Med 2009; 16: 1335-40.
• Saeed O, Gupta V, Dhawan N, Streja L, Shin JS, Bhoi S, Verma S. Knowledge of modifiable risk factors of Coronary Atherosclerotic Heart Disease (CASHD) among a
population in India: a pilot study. BMC Int Health Hum Rights 2009; 9(1): 2.
• Dhawan N, Saeed O, Gupta V, Desai R, Bhoi S, Verma S. Utilizing video on MI as a health education intervention in patient waiting areas of the developing world: a study at the
emergency department of a major tertiary care hospital in India. Int Arch Med 2008; 1: 14.
• Gupta V, Bhoi S, Goel A, Admane S. Nosocomial dengue in healthcare workers. Lancet 2008; 371: 299.
• Singh NK, Gupta V, Singh V. Eradication versus control for poliomyelitis. Lancet 2007; 370: 132.
• Pandey NR, Gupta V. Trends in diabetes. Lancet 2007; 369: 1256.
• Singh NK, Gupta V. Collaboration between the developing and the developed nations. Lancet 2007; 369: 1688.
• Goel A, Aggarwal P, Bhoi S, Gupta V. Pralidoxime in organophosphorus poisoning. Lancet 2007; 369: 1425.
• Gupta V. Research, publications and the developing world. Lancet 2007; 369: 273.
• Gupta V, Goel A, Bhoi S. Medical research in India. Lancet 2006; 368: 644.
Awards and Honors
Academy of Clinical Scholars (AoCS) Faculty Development Award 2015, UCSD
Marquis Who's Who in America - 2014 and 2020
Marquis Who's Who in the World - 2013-15
Residency Research Award, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
The Lancet Travel Awards (2005, 2007, 2008)
I am proud to be a part of UC San Diego Health Hospital Medicine because of the camaraderie amongst the colleagues and the high quality care rendered to a complex patient cohort.