The UC San Diego Division of Hospital Medicine is comprised of 55 faculty hospitalist and nocturnist physicians providing inpatient care for the UC San Diego Health medical centers in Hillcrest and La Jolla.
The Chief of Hospital Medicine is Health Sciences Clinical Professor Daniel Bouland, MD, MS, FACP, who joined Department of Medicine faculty in 2006. His training and career history are replete with administrative, clinical, and academic excellence.
What Is a Hospitalist?
The Society of Hospital Medicine has adopted the following official definition of "hospitalist."
Hospitalists are physicians whose primary professional focus is the general medical care of hospitalized patients. Their activities include patient care, teaching, research and leadership related to hospital medicine.
The term "hospitalist" was first used in a New England Journal of Medicine article in August of 1996. Learn more
To revolutionize the hospital care experience
To provide outstanding clinical care, teaching, leadership, and innovation in the field of Hospital Medicine
Our Core Values
- Compassionate, high quality, evidence-based, safe, and efficient, patient-centered care
- Enthusiastic customer service (patients, referring and consulting physicians, nurses, ancillary staff, hospital, learners)
- Excellence in medical education
- Meaningful and effective quality improvement aligned with institutional goals
- Leadership in the field of Hospital Medicine