Publications, Projects, and Updates
- Please join us for our regular brown bag research and scholarly
activities interest group meeting on the second Wednesday of each month, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Grab your lunch, and join members
of the Research Committee on Zoom for an informal chat about
ideas for projects and collaborations. Whether you are
passionate about research or just getting your feet wet, all are
welcome to join. Zoom meeting information to follow.
- Congratulations to Dr. Lawrence Ma and Dr. Helen Wang for
being the first UCSD faculty to complete the Stanford Faculty
Development course for clinical educators. If you are interested in
participating in future course offerings, please contact Dr. Rechell
Rodriguez (Rechell.Rodriguez@va.gov) for more information.
- Congratulations to the 2021 GIM Mini Grant recipients: Dr. Jessica
Chen, Dr. Joe Diaz, Dr. Arthi Balu, Dr. Heather Hofflich, and Dr.
- Congratulations to Dr. Deanna Hill, Dr. Bernice Ruo, Dr. Tony
Lopez, and Dr. Lawrence Ma for being selected as Department of
Medicine Master Educators.
- Dr. Stacey Charat, Dr. Deanna Hill, Dr. Nivedita Restaino, Dr.
Larry Friedman, and colleagues published a paper, “The
Experience of One Academic Medical Center Rapidly Transitioning
Medical Student Clinical Teaching Using Video Telemedicine:
Lessons Learned and Recommendations” in MedEdPublish in January 2021.
- Dr. Eduardo Grunvald is the principal investigator on a new study,
“A Phase 2 Open Label Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability,
and Efficacy of ARD-101 in Subjects with Relevant Weight Regain
At Least One Year After Bariatric Surgery.” He is also co-investigator
on the study, “A Phase 2, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized, Blinded
Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability and Preliminary Efficacy of
ARD-101 in Adults with Obesity. Along with colleagues from the
UCSD Division of Pulmonary Medicine, he also recently started as
co-investigator on the study, “Underlying mechanisms of obesityinduced obstructive sleep apnea.”
- Dr. Melinda Chen and colleagues from UCSD, Rady Children’s
Hospital, and San Diego State University received a grant from the
UCSD Academic Senate to develop a therapeutic writing
intervention in adolescents and young adults with cancer, with the
goal of improving the cancer experience and promoting personal
and social growth.
- Dr. Jeffrey Jenks received a grant from Astellas Pharma Inc.
for the following study, "Isavuconazole for the Prevention of
SARS-CoV-2-associated Invasive Aspergillosis in Critically-Ill
Patients.” He is principal investigator on this multi-site, actively
enrolling clinical trial at UCSD, UC Irvine, and UC Davis. He also
received a grant from Astellas Pharma Inc. as a co-investigator
on the study, “High Resolution Melt for Rapid Diagnosis of
Invasive Mold Infection.” Dr. Jenks and colleagues have also
published the following papers:
-“Global Guideline for the Diagnosis and Management of Rare
Mould Infections: An Initiative of the European Confederation
of Medical Mycology in Cooperation with the International
Society for Human and Animal Mycology and the American
Society for Microbiology" in Lancet Infectious Diseases in
-“Invasive Aspergillosis in Critically Ill Patients: Review of
Definitions and Diagnostic Approaches” In Mycoses in March
- Dr. Kalli Hose and colleagues published a paper, “The
National Veterans Summer Sports Clinic: Change and Duration
of Psychological Outcomes” in the July 2021 volume of
Psychology of Sport and Exercise.
- Dr. Lynette Cederquist, Dr. Larry Friedman, and colleagues had
a paper, “Identifying Disincentives to Ethics Consultation Requests
Among Physicians, Advance Practice Providers, and Nurses,”
accepted to BMC Medical Ethics.
- Dr. Jennifer DeConde, Dr. Bernice Ruo, and Dr. Lawrence Ma
had a poster accepted to the 2021 National SGIM meeting,
“Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome: an Uncommon Cause of Painful
- Dr. David Bittleman has developed a collection of best
practice approaches to forms and letters that veterans
commonly ask physicians to complete. Please contact him at
David.Bittleman@va.gov if you would like to review his
collection and offer insights.
New Updates on Resources for Scholarly Activity at UCSD
Highlights from the UCSD Division of Geriatrics & Gerontology
- The Division of General Internal Medicine is excited to partner with the UCSD Division of Geriatrics & Gerontology to share news about scholarly activities. Check out the Geriatrics Research Collaborative website if you are interested in learning more and making connections!
UCSD Division of General Internal Medicine Research Committee:
- Edward Chao, DO (chair): email@example.com
- Melinda Chen, MD: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eduardo Grunvald, MD: email@example.com
- Kelley Hagerich, MD: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carl Stepnowsky, PhD: email@example.com
Please contact Dr. Melinda Chen of the UCSD Division of General Internal Medicine Research Subcommittee with updates you would like to share in future newsletters. Also, if you are interested in forging connections for scholarly projects, please let us know!