Publications, Projects, and Updates
- Dr. Jennie Wei and Dr. Simone Kanter had a poster, “Listen Act Develop Intervention Promotes Engagement at the San Diego VA,” accepted to the International Institute of Healthcare Improvement Forum in December 2020. They received funding through the Spark Seed Spread investment program to implement interventions to tackle burnout and promote engagement in primary care clinics.
- Dr. Patricia Hlavin shares the exciting news that the San Diego VA Emergency Department received Geriatric certification.
- Dr. Eduardo Grunvald and Dr. Jennifer DeConde co-authored a clinical vignette, “A Case of Sleep-Related Eating Disorder Treated with Phentermine-Topiramate Extended-release,” that was accepted for presentation at the regional SGIM California-Hawaii Virtual Meeting in January 2021.
- Dr. Eduardo Grunvald and coauthors published a paper, “Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in a Diverse Bariatric Surgery Population” in Obesity in November 2020. This paper was selected for Journal Symposium at the annual meeting of The Obesity Society, and he also presented “Managing Patients with Super Obesity” at this meeting.
- Dr. Edward Chao, along with his teammates Joseph Wang, ScD and Ernesto de la Paz Andres, MS, of Nanoengineering, received an Accelerating Innovations to Market Grant from UCSD to further develop a needle-free, continuous glucose sensor. This program provides both funding and mentoring from industry partners and investors. https://innovation.ucsd.edu/2020/12/14/aimawards-2021/
- Dr. Larry Friedman published an article, “The Pitfalls of Telehealth — and How to Avoid Them” in the Harvard Business Review in November 2020 (https://hbr.org/2020/11/the-pitfalls-oftelehealth-and-how-to-avoid-them?ab=hero-subleft-3).
- Dr. Larry Friedman and colleagues published “An In-Person and Telemedicine Hybrid System to Improve Cross-Border Critical Care in COVID-19” in Annals of Global Health in January 2021.
- Dr. Larry Friedman and Dr. Franklin Gaylis recently had a paper "Implementing Continuous Quality Improvement in an Integrated Community Urology Practice: Lessons Learned” accepted for publication in Urology.
- Dr. Lynette Cederquist and colleagues published a paper “Responding to the Opioid Epidemic: Educational Competencies for Pain and Substance Use Disorder from the Medical Schools of the University of California” published in Pain Medicine in December 2020.
- Dr. Jeff Jenks and colleagues published the following papers: “The Aspergillus Lateral Flow Assay for the Diagnosis of Invasive Aspergillosis: An Update” in Current Fungal Infection Reports (December 2020), “Drug-Resistant Fungi: An Emerging Challenge Threatening Our Limited Antifungal Armamentarium" in the Journal of Antibiotics (December 2020), “Do high MICs predict the outcome in invasive fusariosis" in the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (December 2020), “Diagnosis of Breakthrough Fungal Infections in the Clinical Mycology Laboratory: An ECMM Consensus Statement” in the Journal of Fungi (October 2020), and “Point-of-care diagnostics for invasive aspergillosis: nearing the finish line" in Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics (October 2020).
- Dr. Carl Stepnowsky and colleagues published the paper “Barriers and Facilitators to Implementation of a Novel WebBased Sleep Apnea Management Platform” in Sleep in November 2020.
- Dr. Kelley Hagerich presented a webinar that she developed, “Obesity Management in US Veterans,” in August 2020.
- Dr. David Bittleman is working on a project to collect best practice approaches to the various forms and letters veterans ask physicians to complete. He is interested in hearing insights that VA or UCSD colleagues may have. Please contact him at David.Bittleman@va.gov if you have comments or tips on completing patient forms or letters.
- Please contact Dr. Joe Diaz (email@example.com) if you are interested in collaborating on any of these research projects: 1) Evaluation of opioid prescribing patterns and acute pain flares in patients who have lost their primary care physician; 2) Comparison of antibiotic prescribing patterns and outcomes for patients with upper respiratory symptoms who present inperson versus via telemedicine visits; 3) Comparison of the evaluation, management, and outcomes of patients presenting with acute pain during in-person versus telemedicine visits.
- Christine Xue is a third-year UCSD medical student who is interested in working on a clinical research project in the areas of prevention and management of chronic cardiovascular or infectious disease. If you are interested in a potential collaboration, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Ian Jenkins of the UCSD Division of Hospital Medicine directs the Principles to Practice pre-internship class (SOMC-410) which runs every February. Please contact him at email@example.com if you are interested in curriculum development or administration leadership.
New Updates on Resources for Scholarly Activity at UCSD
- As part of the Healthy Longevity Global Competition, the U.S. National Academy of Medicine and Johnson & Johnson Innovation will issue up to 24 Catalyst Awards per year between 2020 and 2022. Each Catalyst Award includes a $50,000 cash prize. Catalyst Awards will reward bold, new, potentially transformative ideas to improve the physical, mental, or social well-being of people as they age, in a measurable and equitable way.
- COVID-19 related data sets are available to UCSD investigators, as a result of collaboration between the Division of Infectious Disease, the ACTRI, UCSD Health Information Services, the Division of Biomedical Informatics, and the UC Office of the President UC Data Warehouse project. For information on these resources, visit: http:// healthdata.ucsd.edu.
Highlights from the UCSD Division of Geriatrics & Gerontology
- The Division of Geriatrics & Gerontology moved up the ranks again in U.S. News & World Report to #13 out of more than 1500 national programs in 2020.
- The National Institute on Aging has issued new funding to establish the San Diego Nathan Shock Center of Excellence in the Biology of Aging – a collaboration led by the Salk Institute. https:// www.salk.edu/science/ research-centers/sandiego-nathan-shockcenter/
- The Division of General Internal Medicine is excited to partner with the UCSD Division of Geriatrics & Gerontology to share news about scholarly activities. Check out the Geriatrics Research Collaborative website if you are interested in learning more and making connections! https:// medschool.ucsd.edu/som/ medicine/divisions/ Geriatrics/research/Pages/ Gerontology-ResearchCollaborative.aspx
UCSD Division of General Internal Medicine Research Committee:
- Edward Chao, DO (co-chair): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeffrey Jenks, MD (co-chair): email@example.com
- Melinda Chen, MD: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eduardo Grunvald, MD: email@example.com
- Kelley Hagerich, MD: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carl Stepnowsky, PhD: email@example.com
Please contact Dr. Melinda Chen of the UCSD Division of General Internal Medicine Research Subcommittee with updates you would like to share in future newsletters. Also, if you are interested in forging connections for scholarly projects, please let us know!