Post-Polypectomy Surveillance for Reducing Colon Cancer Incidence and Mortality (Gupta, PI)
This is a 6-year NIH/NCI-funded project that aims to determine whether post-polypectomy surveillance colonoscopy reduces colorectal cancer incidence and mortality. Analysis for the original 4-year grant and 2-year extension is in progress.
Optimization of Helicobacter pylori-Related Disease Outcomes in Veterans (Shah, PI)
This is a 5-year VA CSR&D-funded project that aims to optimize Helicobacter pylori (H.pylori) disease-, treatment-, and systems-related outcomes among Veterans. The analysis for this project is in progress.
Optimal Early Colorectal Cancer Screening Initiation (Demb, PI)
This is a 5-year NIH/NCI-funded K99/R00 project that aims to identify an optimal screening strategy for CRC screening in adults ages 45-49. The K99 phase of the project, which aims to characterize CRC screening uptake at UCSD Health and develop and pilot an enhanced screening strategy, is in progress.
Establish and analyze outcomes for the COVID-19 CRC Risk Cohort (Gupta, PI)
This was a 1-year VA HSR&D-funded project that aimed to establish the COVID-19 CRC Risk Cohort and analyze whether COVID-19 policies impacted colonoscopy scheduling and stage at detection.
- Demb J, Liu L,
Murphy CC, Doubeni CA, Martinez ME, Gupta S. Young-onset colorectal
cancer risk among individuals with iron-deficiency anaemia and
haematochezia. Gut. 2020. Dec 18;gutjnl-2020-231849. [PMID:33443020]
Optimizing Colorectal Cancer and Polyp Surveillance after Colorectal Polypectomy (Gupta, PI)
This was a 4-year VA HSR&D project that identified the VA Colonoscopy Collaborative (VACC), developed and validated a PAthology and Colonoscopy Report Abstraction Tool (PACRAT), and developed and validated a risk prediction model for metachronous advanced neoplasia.
- Liu L, Bustamante R, Earles A, Demb J, Messer K, Gupta S. A strategy for validation of variables derived from large-scale electronic health record data.
J Biomed Inform. 2021 Jul 27;121:103879. [PMID: 34329789]
- Bustamante R, Earles A, Murphy JD, Bryant AK, Patterson OV, Gawron AJ, Kaltenbach T, Whooley MA, Fisher DA, Saini SD, Gupta S, Liu L. Ascertainment of Aspirin Exposure Using Structured and Unstructured Large-Scale Electronic Health Record Data.
Med Care. 2019 Oct;57(10):e60-e64. [PMID: 30807451]
- Earles A, Liu L, Bustamante R, Coke P, Lynch J, Messer K, Martinez ME, Murphy JD, Williams CD, Fisher DA, Provenzale D, Gawron AJ, Kaltenbach T, Gupta S. Structured Approach for Evaluating Strategies for Cancer Ascertainment using Large-Scale Electronic Health Record Data.
JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2018 Dec;2:1-12. [PMID: 30652546]
- Gupta S, Liu L, Patterson OV, Earles A, Bustamante R, Gawron AJ, Thompson WK, Scuba W, Denhalter D, Martinez ME, Messer K, Fisher DA, Saini SD, DuVall SL, Chapman WW, Whooley MA, Kaltenbach T. A Framework for Leveraging "Big Data" to Advance Epidemiology and Improve Quality: Design of the VA Colonoscopy Collaborative.
EGEMS (Wash DC). 2018 Apr 13;6(1):4. [PMID: 29881762]
- Gupta S,
Earles A, Bustamante R, Patterson OV, Gawron AJ, Kaltenbach TR, Yassin
H, Lamm M, Shah SC, Saini SD, Fisher DA, Martinez ME, Messer K, Demb J,
Liu L. Adenoma Detection Rate and Clinical Characteristics Influence
Advanced Neoplasia Risk after Colorectal Polypectomy.
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2022 Oct 18:S1542-3565(22)00960-0. [PMID: 36270618]
Colonoscopy in Young-Onset Colorectal Cancer (Demb, PI)
This is a 3-year NCI-funded project that aims to evaluate the benefits of colonoscopy uptake among veterans ages <50 with iron deficiency anemia (IDA) or hematochezia and compare the impact of exposure to a colonoscopy on young-onset colorectal cancer (YCRC) benefits among all veterans ages 18-49. The analysis for this project is in progress.
- Demb J, Liu L, Murphy CC, Doubeni CA, Martinez ME, Gupta S. Young-onset colorectal cancer risk among individuals with iron-deficiency anaemia and haematochezia. Gut. 2020. Dec 18;gutjnl-2020-231849. [PMID:33443020]