Postdoctoral Scholar Position in Health Systems Science University of California San Diego School of Medicine Department of Family Medicine
The goal of the program is to provide hands-on experiential-learning and professional opportunities for highly qualified researchers with a background in health services research (HSR) or related fields to enhance analytic skills and ultimately increase the capacity of the HSR workforce.
Posting Description: Postdoctoral scholars will join an ongoing project with a faculty mentor, allowing a rapid start, leveraging of staff resources, and a high probability of completing multiple products. Various projects are underway (and others are likely to be beginning in 2022) that could engage a Health Systems Science Fellow with skills ranging from economics, epidemiology, anthropology, sociology, and implementation science. We have a particular interest in potential fellows with expertise in population health, primary care redesign, and in mental health services research.
Eligibility: Researchers with a doctoral degree in health services research, economics, psychology, sociology, anthropology, health informatics, or a related field are encouraged to apply.
Note: You may apply for the position if you will receive your doctoral degree before the start date. We anticipate most applicants will have finished their training in the last three years, but a more experienced candidate considering a career shift will also be considered. The position has a rolling start date until filled.
Required Application Materials:
1. Cover letter with applicant's full name, email, doctoral degree or anticipated time of doctoral degree, available start time. 2. Current NIH Biosketch. 3. One analytic writing sample (no more than 10 pages, including references).
Note: There is a strong preference for the submission of a sole-authored writing sample (even if unpublished). The submission of a multi-authored writing sample will be accepted; however, authorship role must be clearly defined.
4. A statement of interest/essay (no longer than 1,000 words) addressing the applicant's:
- Interest in conducting rigorous quality improvement and applied research studies in health service delivery system settings;
- Preparation and qualifications for the position; and
- Personal learning objectives and the value of the position to the applicant's career plans and goals.
5. Two letters of recommendation. Applicants must indicate referee information as part of the application. All letters must be:
- On official letterhead
- Signed by your reference
- References should submit their letters within 2 weeks of your application.
6. For doctoral students only: documentation of anticipated degree completion
- Current doctoral candidate applicants must submit a departmental document on official letterhead indicating anticipated degree completion status.
Email application and supporting materials to:
Ming Tai-Seale, PhD, MPH, Professor and Vice Chair of Research, UC San Diego School of Medicine Department of Family Medicine, firstname.lastname@example.org.