Relationship of Master’s and Doctoral Programs

​Students will enroll in the PhD degree. Students who leave the PhD program prior to obtaining the PhD degree are eligible to obtain the MS degree under Plan II (SD Senate regulation 700), which requires a comprehensive written exam. The PhD written QE will serve in this role; students must pass at the MS level. Students are also required to have obtained 48 units of Core Courses with a passing grade.