As Emergency Physicians, we are uniquely aware of the morbidity and mortality that results from poor access to healthcare resources. Global health research efforts are directed towards improving the lives of those in low-resource settings. Our EM faculty and residents have conducted academic research in a variety of international locations to address public health issues and improve access to healthcare. Topics of research have included infectious diseases, environmental exposures and community health.
International Research locations:
- Antarctica - Undersea Diving Research
- Mexico - Creating dive tables to decrease DCS in Mexican fishermen
- Machu Picchu, Peru - Hypoxia amongst newly arrived tourists
- Maputo, Mozambique - Care provided by Traditional Healers for patients in HIV-endemic region
- Mbarara, Uganda - Expanding HIV testing through collaboration with Traditional Healers
- Bugoye, Uganda - Use of village health teams to improve public health surveillance